Int'l Relations Organization Elects Choubey President

By Courtney A. Coursey

The Board of Directors of the Harvard International Relations Council (IRC) elected Deepti Choubey '98 as president of the organization.

"I have a vision. I know that it is feasible," Choubey said in her campaign speech. "And most importantly, I have a record of success."

The IRC is an umbrella organization that oversees six internationally-oriented programs at Harvard.

Approximately 350 students are currently involved in the programs that the IRC oversees, Choubey said.

As of March 30, the organization had roughly $275,000 in investments and $87,000 in cash reserves, according to information in the campaign statement of Guha V. Bala '97.

Bala ran unopposed for the position of treasurer of the organization.

All students running for office distributed lengthy candidate statements describing their experience in the organization and vision for its future.

They then gave eight-minute speeches timed precisely by Howard Steyn '97, outgoing president of the organization.

A question and answer period followed where Board Members asked the candidates questions.

Choubey said she began her involvement with the IRC during her first year at Harvard, serving as a Director and Board member and most recently as Vice President of Corporate Relations.

Choubey emphasized the importance of creating a clear definition of leadership roles in the organization, as well as integrating the different programs of the IRC.

Presidential candidates were asked questions about the role of the Board of Directors in overseeing IRC programs, the role of the IRC president in interacting with students involved in the organization, as well as what they would do if not elected.

Choubey defeated Gopal Garuda '98, and Robert S. Lee '98.

The results of elections for other positions were not available at press time.