Fineberg Is Named New Provost

Rudenstine Taps SPH Dean for No. 2 Position

By Matthew W. Granade

Twenty-eight days after Provost Albert Carnesale announced his departure, President Neil L. Rudenstine yesterday named Dean of the School of Public Health Harvey V. Fineberg '67 the University's next provost, its second-highest officer.

Fineberg will be Harvard's third provost in as many years.

"He's a superb person, a superb human being, all the right values, all the right concerns about the institution and the people," Rudenstine said.

Fineberg has been at Harvard since he enrolled as an undergraduate in 1963 and holds four Harvard degrees from four different schools. Fineberg has served as dean for 13 years.

In a news conference yesterday, Rudenstine cited Fineberg's extensive administrative experience and vast exposure to the University as the key reasons for his appointment.

"He's a seasoned administrator--proven and tested," Rudenstine said.

Carnesale will leave Harvard on July 1 to become chancellor of the University of California at Los Angeles (UCLA).

Rudenstine's unusually brief 28-day search for a provost is one of the shortest in the nine central administration appointments he has made during his tenure.

Carnesale was Rudenstine's sec- ond provost, following the unexpected resignation of Wells Professor of Political Economy Jerry R. Green in 1995. The position of provost was revived after Rudenstine took office in 1992.

Rudenstine said the search was quick because the candidate pool was tightly limited.

"It's a job description that is reasonably coherent, and the tasks are known and the number of people who have the required kinds of experience, temperament, knowledge of the institution and talent is a very small pool," Rudenstine said. "It's not a position in which you want to place an untested person."

Sources close to the search said that the University's vice presidents, deans and various senior faculty members were consulted extensively during the search.

A number of candidates surfaced during these conversations, but Rudenstine only talked to two other individuals about taking the job, according to sources in Massachusetts Hall.

Fineberg was close to retiring as dean of the School of Public Health (SPH), according to sources. The opportunity to work across the University and to serve in a more central capacity attracted Fineberg to the job.

"The provost adds a dimension that is extremely valuable today...in working with the deans and vice presidents to make the work of the center relate constructively and effectively to the business of the schools," Fineberg said.

The provost's official responsibilities include planning the central budget; managing University Health Services (UHS) and University Information Systems (UIS); directing Harvard's five inter-faculty initiatives, and developing Harvard's policy on benefits, unions, retirement and a number of other administrative issues.

SPH Dean for Academic Affairs James H. Ware will become acting dean upon Fineberg's departure while the University searches for a replacement.

"I think it will be a hard search," Ware said. "The president will cast the net widely but will also push ahead briskly."

Many members of the provost's staff said yesterday that they were excited with the appointment and pleased by the speed with which Rudenstine appointed Carnesale's successor.

"I'm delighted," said Associate Provost Dennis E. Thompson. "I was pleased with the speed of the appointment. I thought it was important to have someone chosen before Al Carnesale was to leave.