Chelsea Clinton Visits Harvard

First Daughter Parties at the A.D.

By Richard M. Burnes

While her father stayed at home to deliver his weekly radio address to the nation, Chelsea Clinton was at Harvard this weekend to scout out what is becoming one of her final college choices.

The President's daughter arrived in Cambridge around midday on Saturday and left yesterday afternoon.

She plans to return this morning to attend several classes.

A senior at Sidwell Friends School, a private day school in Washington, D.C., Clinton spent Saturday afternoon hanging out with a group of first-year Harvard students.

Later that evening the women took Chelsea out to experience the best of Harvard's social scene.

Clinton--fashionably clad for the evening in a royal blue tight sweater, bootleg pants and, of course, boots--was taken to various hot-spots around Harvard Square, including a party at the A.D. final club.

This weekend's visit was the first time Clinton has been on campus since her visit to Cambridge with her mother over the summer.

In addition to coming to Harvard, Clinton visited several colleges over the summer including Princeton, Stanford, Yale, Georgetown and Amherst.

According to the student newspapers at each of these schools, Harvard is the only place Clinton has visited since the colleges mailed their acceptance notices on April 1.

Many feel that one of the major factors in Clinton's decision is the level of attention she draws during visits to prospective colleges.

"Common sense would say it probably has an impact," said Jacqueline A. Newmyer, also a senior at Sidwell Friends.

Although the Harvard News office granted one local television new station access to the Yard late on Saturday afternoon, the visit has been kept low-key.

University News Officer Debra Ruder said she was under the impression that the event was not arranged by University officials.

Theda Skocpol, professor of government and sociology and Henry Louis Gates, W.E.B. DuBios professor of humanities, both of whom are close friends of the President and First Lady, said they were unaware of the visit and were not planning on meeting with Clinton.

Gates, however, said he hoped that Clinton comes to Cambridge.

"I hope she comes to Harvard," Gates said

"I can't imagine a better place to be an undergraduate," he said.