Group Sponsors 'Living Stones'

By Alexandra S. Morrison

A crowd of 80 students gathered last night in the Winthrop Junior Common Room to hear the band The Living Stones play Christian rock music.

The band had traveled from San Diego to give the free performance and to spread a message of Christian love.

"We hope we can encourage students to have purpose in life and above all to use their education to help other people, and not lose sight of people in pursuit of their careers," said band member Mike K. MacIntosh, who is involved in several public-service groups and is chaplain of the San Diego Police Department.

The band entertained the dancing audience with adapted '60s music. It took well-known songs and changed their lyrics to add religious significance. Personal anecdotes and stories were also incorporated into the hour-long concert.

The concert was not officially organized by a student group, but was arranged by members of Christian Impact, a Harvard student fellowship.

"I thought it was fun," said Aaron M. Zimmerman '99. "It was good to see people involved in the entertainment business involved in something other than themselves."

Other audience members said they were impressed with the band's commitment to spreading Christian messages.

"I liked the people, and the fact that they had a reason for being here," said Virginia V. Barnhill '99.

"I liked that Jesus' name was actually being said in a loud voice at Harvard, and that people were listening," she added.

The Living Stones consists of four seasoned performers, including Laurie K. Lewis, who sang with the Mamas and the Papas from 1987 to 1993, and Rob S. Glickman, who toured with UB40, The Clash and Madness.

Students said they appreciated that the concert was held for free.

"People asked why the concert was free and that's because it wasn't a group that was coming for money, but rather a group of people who had a message of love," said Mary L. Naber '98, the event's organizer and a Crimson editor.

Glickman said his religious beliefs inspire his performances.

"I feel it's important to take my faith and put it in a place where people can use it," he said.

Harvard was the first destination on the band's two-week tour, which will take it to five schools, including Brown and Yale