Annual May Fair Enlivens Square

Vendors, Artists Hit the Streets

By Lisa N. Brennan-jobs

Harvard Square bustled with festivities yesterday as old and young alike gathered to celebrate the arrival of spring in the Square's 14th Annual May Fair.

A number of local vendors sold food and goods in stalls outside, and many local artists entertained the crowds.

A band called Inca Son played Latin American music, and down the street, a band called Jim's Big Ego played, among other songs, their version of Simon and Garfunkel's "Feelin' Groovy."

A clown in the street who was making balloon flowers said he enjoyed the day's festivities.

"I've been having just a blast," said the clown who called himself Timmy the Twist. "I've been performing out here for twenty years."

Many local restaurants offered a variety of dishes. A large line gathered around the stand for the Indian restaurant Delhi Darbar, where one of the waiters selling food said business was going "very well."

Despite the crowded streets, groups of Rollerbladers managed to make their way through the throngs.

Merchants on the streets peddled items ranging from tie-die underwear to silver bracelets.

One Cantabrigian resident decided to bring his iguana for a day in the sun.

"I didn't know the fair was going on but I decided to stay" said Jay Laird, his iguana perched on his shoulder.

Children jumped on a gigantic, inflatable Gator Slide and Tiger Bounce.

Other art stands for children ranged from face painting to arranging colorful sand in glass bottles.

"We usually go to places that are not as nice. We like it here," said Roger Pussette, a worker at the Sand Art booth. He said he thought he had probably seen over 400 children over the course of the fair.

Two streets going through the Square, Brattle St. and JFK St. were blocked off.

The fair, which lasted from noon to 6 p.m., was sponsored by a number of local businesses