PBHA Strives for Autonomy from University

Despite Agreement with the University Last July, Organization Still Fights for Independence

By Georgia N. Alexakis

Gaining the increased autonomy the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) says it wants from the Administration has never been an easy task for the University's largest service organization.

But when University officials and PBHA student representatives forged a new agreement last July, both parties said they felt they could at least anticipate a less-heated working relationship in the upcoming school year.

The arrangement made several provisions that increased the Administration's authority in the areas of safety, finance and compliance with University and legal requirements. It also created a board of trustees to oversee PBHA which includes non-student voting members, PBHA student leaders and University officials. In addition, if they also hired an executive agent responsible for the day-to-day operations of the organization.

But the agreement, the result of several concessions made by both groups, may have failed in its attempt to forge a successful partnership. With neither side completely content with the results of last summer's negotiations, the past year has been a tumultuous one for the organization.

This year, almost no one involved with the organization was spared attack; Assistant Dean of Public Service Judith H. Kidd, Dean of the College Harry R. Lewis '68 and PBHA's newly-created board of trustees all faced public criticism.

And as the flaws of the once-touted compromise became apparent, PBHA continued to press for independence voting in early May to endorse a recommendation that would allow the organization to hire its own staff.

Authored by a PBHA program development team that includes Kidd, the proposal would enable the hiring of an executive director, associate director and development coordinator who would be directly responsible to the PBHA board.

The new staff structure would eliminate the position of chief operating officer (COO)--a liaison between the University and PBHA--which has been vacant since the May 4 departure of former COO Kenneth G. Smith.

The position had been problematic, according to Gregory A. Johnson '72, former executive director of PBHA. The purpose of the post was to create an independent agent who was responsible for the day-to-day operations of PBHA.

However, because Smith reported to both the administration and PBHA, and because both sides contributed to Smith's salary, it made it difficult for him to act independently and not get involved in disputes between the two parties, according to Johnson.

"It's impossible to be paid half by the University, half by PBHA Inc., report to a University administrator and [still] be an independent agent," Johnson said in an interview with The Crimson.

By eliminating the position, the proposal by PBHA's board of trustees may help to bring about a lasting compromise in the two-year dispute between the organization and the University over the structure of public service programs at Harvard.

Letters of Intent

Despite advances made this year in PBHA's relationship with the University, the year was marred by public attacks.

In a letter sent April 5 to hundreds of donors and supporters of PBHA, Johnson criticized PBHA's board of trustees for being "tentative and slow" in fulfilling its mission and accused some board members of "deliberate sabotage."

The letter also accused College administrators of undermining the effectiveness of the board by creating an "atmosphere of intimidation," adding that the relationship between the two parties had only worsened since PBHA's compromise with the College last summer.

But the unsatisfactory agreement was not the only factor responsible for the tense relationship between the University and PBHA this year.

In a March 3 letter, outgoing PBHA officers criticized Kidd for allegedly holding secret meetings, ignoring student opinions, merging unlike public service organizations and diverting resources away from the student-run organization. The letter urged her to either "celebrate and partake" in the "culture of PBHA" or to leave.

Lewis defended Kidd, calling it an unwarranted "personal attack" adding that she was essential to the relationship between PBHA and the University.

"PBHA...is making decisions without consulting appropriate University officials, and is consequently making grave mistakes," Lewis wrote.

Lewis's letter said that PBHA had conducted its own violations in the past year, citing at least two instances in which PBHA had made decisions "without consulting appropriate University officials."

In particular, Lewis said PBHA bypassed Kidd in their effort to create minimum safety standards, which were passed by the PBHA board of trustees in early March. Lewis asserted that Kidd was essential to prevent inexperienced students from making critical errors.

But Roy E. Bahat '98, president of PBHA, said the safety measures--which went into effect on Apr. 7 and presented guidelines on how volunteers can protect themselves while working in potentially dangerous environments--only prove that PBHA can work independently from the University.

And Kidd, in an interview with The Crimson, said the final guidelines were the result of a joint effort by PBHA, the University's insurance office and her office.

"This is the first time that a service organization on campus made its own safety policy," Bahat said in the Mar. 14 issue of The Crimson. "These policies demonstrate that students with advice from experts can run their programs safely and effectively."

But outgoing executives of PBHA also criticized Kidd for her policy regarding other public service organizations.

The former officers specifically complained Kidd was pushing House and Neighborhood Development (HAND), a non-PBHA program, to move into PBH.

Kidd allegedly made this recommendation despite a resolution passed by the PBHA cabinet on Feb. 19 stating that "Phillips Brooks House Association be the only public service organization housed in the Phillips Brooks House."

According to Michael W. Ma '98, vice president of PBHA, the resolution was passed because the cabinet felt that having any other public service programs inside their building would force the organization to real-locate professional staff and decrease the level of support PBHA programs receive.

In response to the outgoing executives' letter, HAND leaders said their organization needs "a permanent space in a central location."

"This space would allow House HAND programs to share resources and communicate ideas effectively and efficiently," the statement read. "The identity of the HAND program is fundamentally House-based...volunteers will continue to make this association regardless of the location of the central HAND office."

The organization eventually moved closer to reaching a resolution with the Administration over HAND's need for a centralized location.

PBHA student leaders say they are now confident that HAND will move into PBH once the Religion Department vacates the third floor of the building.

A Promising Future?

Nevertheless, PBHA managed to rise above the conflict that plagued its year. By lifting a four-month moratorium put into effect by last year's officers prohibiting new groups from applying for admittance to PBHA, it allowed itself the potential to grow.

"The increased space or money demands of a single additional program aren't great," said Rebecca E. Stich '98, PBHA programming co-chair when the moratorium was lifted.

Since the moratorium was originally established to allow officers the time to create a formal policy and universal criteria for admitting the groups, its lifting suggests that PBHA is willing to work with the administration to meet the needs of new programs looking for office space and financial support.

"In the past we have worked well enough with the administration to accommodate our needs as they grew," said Stich.

With new groups possibly on the way, PBHA may also be able to strengthen at least one of its present programs through an alliance with Nike. The company has asked Cambridge Youth Association, a PBHA program, to help recruit volunteer coaches for youth sports. In exchange, students participating in the program will receive a stipend from Nike.

Despite these advances and the most recent gains in University relations, PBHA members say they are worried about what effect the year's tumult will have on the organization's ability to launch a major fundraising drive for its 100th anniversary in the year 2000 as it attempts to make itself financially independent.

In addition, the future of the ongoing conflict and resolution between Harvard and PBHA is still uncertain. Nevertheless, administrators say they are willing to continue negotiations until a satisfactory compromise is found.

"The nature of PBHA's place at Harvard is one that's under discussion," Lewis said. "The only thing I can promise is that we'll make our decision based on what's best for the community, on whether we empower the community members and our-selves by working with them."