Loker to Offer New Services in Fall

By Matthew W. Granade and Andrew K. Mandel

Harvard Dining Services (HDS) hopes brand-name food and more flexible serving will sell students on Loker Commons and put the financially ailing student center back in the black.

At the eatery in which HDS served its own variety of pizza and burritos last year, Loker will soon carry food from Pizzeria Uno, Don Regal Mexican food, Kahiki Chinese cuisine and soups from Stockpot and Legal Seafood. Nathan's hot dogs and french fries as well as Kenny Rogers Roasters chicken are also in the works for later in the fall, according to HDS Associate Director Leonard D. Condenzio.

In addition, HDS has invested in new culinary technology--a Turbochef oven--that will heat food "to perfection" and save labor costs, Condenzio said. Harvard is the first university to use the Turbochef, although hundreds have been sold in New England.

"It's new, it's risky and it's open to comments," Condenzio said. "I want to make Loker work for all of us."

HDS will also develop its own hamburger stand--AJ's Burgers--to satisfy voiced student cravings and avoid inflexible franchising and licensing royalties.

The serving structure will now also resemble the successful Science Center Greenhouse; students will be also to pick and choose from the various food stations and pay at a central cashier. The Greenhouse's popular manager John Soldano will also direct Loker food operations next year.

HDS will move several of the serving cases--as well as the yogurt machine--to accommodate self-service and increase speed and efficiency.

These changes are in response to Loker's continued budget deficit and follow last semester's undergraduate survey. Officials from the College, HDS and the Memorial Hall/Lowell Hall Complex (MHLHC) have combined efforts to revitalize Loker.

Director of MHLHC Eric C. Engel notes the installation of new leather couches, a pool table and a customdesigned computer kiosk in Loker as recent enhancements. Found distracting to students, the LED Frieze board--which flashed student poetry above the food service stations--will now provide student calendar information.

Loker will also feature a new sound system and a soapbox--an open microphone for students to "announce a dance or start a revolution," Engel said.

"It all sounds promising," said Kristi L. Patterson '98, noting that she previously patronized Loker only as long as she had Crimson Cash. "With Pizzeria Uno, I'd be willing to spend more.