Two Harvard Faithfuls Bid Farewell; New Faces Arrive

* Influx of new coaches reshapes teams' complexions

By Rebecca A. Blaeser, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It was an unusually busy summer for the Harvard athletic department. After the retirement of many long-time Harvard faithfuls this past spring, a committee consisting of both academic and athletic representation as well as outgoing captains was immediately faced with a slew of coaching vacancies.

Throughout the last three months, the preeminent task at hand was to attempt to fill in all those gaps in time for the 1997-'98 athletic seasons.

Costin Scalise Bids Final Goodbye to Blodgett Pool

Perhaps the most startling retirement was that of Maura Costin Scalise '80. After 13 years at the helm of the women's swimming team, which included seven Ivy League titles and four Eastern Championships, Costin Scalise said her final goodbyes to Blodgett Pool following the team's fourth-place finish at last season's Easterns.

Taking over for Costin Scalise will be Stephanie Wriede '92, who has served under Costin Scalise as an assistant for the past two years. Wriede made her mark as an undergraduate as she was a two-time All-American who still holds the school record in the 200 breaststroke.

Alongside Wriede will be another recent Harvard graduate, Katherine Veazey. Many current Harvard seniors may remember Veazey as a senior distance standout on the 1995 swimming team.

An End to an Era

Just as Costin Scalise's departure saddened the swimming ranks, Harvard sailors too saw an end to an era. After heading the program for 29 of the last 30 years, head coach Mike Horn '63 relinquished his reign over Harvard sailing after the spring season.

Taking Horn's place will his assistant coach of seven years, Mike O' Connor, who captained the Boston University sailing team during his undergraduate career.

Kenyon Departs for Catamount Territory

In similar fashion, the Harvard women's soccer team lost one of its best assistants. After three years behind head coach Tim. Wheaton, Jodi Kenyon departed Cambridge in favor of Burlington, Vermont and a head position with the Catamount squad.

Making up for Kenyon's loss will be former University All-American Tracy Dimillio-Kerr.

In recent years, Dimillio-Kerr has been immersed in the Dallas Storm soccer club as she coached the under-19 and under-13 girls' teams.

Making it a true family affair, Dimillio-Kerr frequents New England Revolution games where her husband John is a striker for the professional soccer team.

B.U. Meets Harvard Hockey

Even when the head coaches stayed put, there were still positions up for grabs. In particular, the men's hockey team suffered the loss of its junior varsity coach Kevin Hampe '73.

After 21 years as a Crimson coach, Hampe walked away from Bright Hockey Center in order to spend more time with his family.

Taking over for Hampe will be a member of the younger generation. After four years in a Boston University jersey, Mark Bavis will now switch allegiances and join the Harvard hockey staff.

After his career at B.U., Bavis spent three years as a player in both the American Hockey League and the East Coach Hockey League before taking a place behind the bench.

Holden On Once Again

Frank Sullivan will have one of his former players return to him this coming basketball season. After playing under Sullivan, who at the time was the head coach at Bentley College in the late 80s, Bill Holden makes a move to the Ivy League.

Although for the past three seasons Holden worked as an assistant for the Bentley program, prior to that move he was a Crimson volunteer assistant from 1992 through the 1994 season.

Holden will no doubt help the Crimson's long-range attack. As a Bentley standout, Holden still remains the Falcons' all-time leading scorer with 2,103 points and also boasts school records for three-pointers made (208) and steals (253).

New Offensive Look

In a move which looks to boost the offensive production of the Harvard football team, a new face will appear behind the Crimson sidelines.

After two seasons as an assistant coach at Northeastern, Joe Philbin will take over as the Harvard offensive coordinator this season.

While working with the Huskies' attack, Philbin guided an offense which produced an average of 366 yards and 22.5 points per game in 1996.

Considering that Harvard has been picked to finish second in the Ivy League Football Preseason Media Poll, Philbin hopes to create the same offensive results as a Crimson coach.