Anti-Semitic Poster Found Behind Sever

By Ethan M. Katz, CONTRIBUTING REPORTER

Less than a week after white supremacist flyers appeared in Harvard Yard, an anti-Semitic poster was discovered yesterday on a kiosk behind Sever Hall.

The sheet, entitled "Harvard Notice," claimed that 40 percent of Harvard "Graduate students" are Jewish, compared to 2.5 percent of the United States population.

It followed this claim with the parenthetical statement, "Community Concern." No author was listed.

Adam M. Kleinbaum '98, Hillel chair and a Crimson editor, said he hopes the two flyers do not represent a trend, but he added that he could not be certain. For now, he said he does not believe a response is necessary.

"I trust that Harvard students know it's just hate rhetoric," he said.

Dean of students Archie C. Epps III said he does not assume yesterday's flyer was put up by members of the University community.

Epps said he found the poster deplorable, adding that the University does not tolerate racism and anti-Semitism.

In the event that University members are responsible for the flyers, Epps said he would consider several ways to respond. He did not elaborate on what these alternatives would be.

For now, he said students can help him by bringing copies of hate posters to his office "so we can follow up."