Fred's Retirement Spurs Free Coffee at Dunkin'

* Donut shop draws hundreds of Java drinkers

By Ethan M. Katz, CONTRIBUTING REPORTER

Fred the Baker may be at the threshhold of his restful years, but his retirement yesterday caused anything but relaxation for Dunkin' Donuts employees across the country.

In honor of the retirement of Fred, the "time-to-make-the-donuts"-chanting baker of Dunkin' Donuts commercials, the chain offered free donuts and coffee yesterday.

Cantabrigians took advantage of the offer in droves.

By 11 a.m. at the Eliot Street shop, customers wiped out the store's supply of 1,200 donuts, triple the quantity normally sold in an entire day, according to shift leader Anna Lesnik.

Although she did not know how much coffee was given out before her shift began, Lesnik said that she poured 183 cups of coffee between 3 and 6:30 p.m.

She also noted that the store had to bake three batches of cookies yesterday, whereas it normally only bakes one batch.

The Mass. Ave. store sold out its supply of 150 donuts by about 8 a.m., estimated supervisor Ismail. Ismail and assistant supervisor Shawn M. Khan guessed that they sold more than 500 cups of coffee between 2:30 p.m., when their shift began, and 6:30 p.m.

Despite the crowds, though, both Ismail and Khan said they were having fun.

"I enjoyed today," Khan said. "All the customers were happy."