Party Closings, Police Behavior Unwarranted

We didn't even have any homework. On the early morning of Sunday the 14th-arguably the last day of leisure before the grind of schoolwork began-Harvard students were living it up at several parties down by the River. But the joy was short-circuited. Four parties, in Adams, Kirkland, Leverett and Winthrop Houses were broken up between midnight and 1 a.m. by Harvard police on request from tutors in the houses.

The tutors were unavailable for comment but seemed to be following, however prematurely, a rule that all parties on weekend nights should end by 1 a.m. We are dismayed by these early party closings, and would like to see the College make a 180-degree reversal: Harvard should cut back quiet hours, extending party time until 2 a.m. on weekends.

After the parties had been shut down, students gathered in the streets outside the houses but were quickly dispersed by the Harvard police (with aid from Cambridge officers). This swift action was equally unfortunate. Students were not blocking traffic but merely extending the party-like atmosphere to the street. We don't see enough spontaneous, carefree enthusiasm here at Harvard; tutors and the police they summon should think twice before destroying it.

Moreover, police should not have threatened students for what was clearly harmless, reasonable behavior. Especially considering the fact what wasn't a school night.