F. Hockey Edged By UConn, 3-1

HIGHLIGHTS

By Richard B. Tenorio, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

28 seconds reveal so much.

Junior Caroline Johnston had just scored to pull the Harvard field hockey team (2-3, 1-0 Ivy) even with Connecticut, 1-1. Less than a half-minute later, the Huskies reclaimed the lead for good.

"After we scored, [UConn] broke it out of their defensive end and made a bunch of good passes up the field," said junior Judy Collins. "I don't think we were ready."

Like Tweety versus Sylvester, UConn repeatedly eluded Harvard in Wednesday's 3-1 loss.

"They'd beat us to the ball, and we'd kind of let them take it to us," Collins said. "We didn't stay up and play good defense."

Playing on their home turf aided the Huskies.

"The turf was definitely a slight disadvantage," Collins said. "We weren't as quick as UConn. They were much faster and executed things quicker. We were more hesitant than on grass."

UConn opened the scoring midway through the first half. Six minutes later, Johnston tallied her third goal of the season, with co-captain Amy DiMarzio and junior Tara LaSovage assisting on the score.

Sophomore Anya Cowan made eight saves for Harvard.

"The goals [that UConn scored] weren't Anya's fault at all," Collins said. "It's hard to stop your opponent on a two-on-one."

Tomorrow, the Crimson will seek to revive its sputtering offense when it travels to New Haven to play Yale.

"It'll be one of our hardest games of the season," Collins said. "Yale is doing really well. We know we're a good team. We have to come ready to play."