M. Soccer Tackles Yale

By Mike Volonnino, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Every minute the Harvard men's soccer team (2-1-1, 1-1 Ivy) spends on the pitch it becomes better. The players develop confidence, chemistry and cohesion. With each game, the Crimson gives glimpses of the team that has ruled the Ivy League for the past two years.

Now, riding a two game win streak the team treks into the abyss of New Haven where it cannot merely progress. They must excel.

A berth into the NCAA playoffs may hang in the balance of this critical game against Yale. Having dropped the season opener to Pennsylvania, a second-divisional loss would almost surely kill Harvard's chances at the divisional crown-and an automatic play-off spot.

"It's a very important game," said junior midfielder Jobey Hollinger. "First it's an Ivy league game, and its Yale. It doesn't get any bigger than that."

"It's huge," said sophomore stopper Paul Cantagallo. "For Harvard/Yale even if the two teams were terrible it still would be a great game."

Fresh off victories over Columbia and Providence, Harvard enters the game with a new found confidence, something that was sorely lacking in its first two games.

"We're finally getting on track and building momentum," said junior back/forward Zachary Viders, who suffered a broken collarbone a week-and-a-half ago against Boston College.

Defeating Yale will not be easy. As one of the Ivy powerhouses, the Elis are as tough and quick as they come-not to mention hungry to knock off the defending champs.

Adding to the challenge for the Crimson is the loss of stopper Paul Cantagallo, who received a red card in the Hartford game for fighting. That infraction carries an automatic two-game suspension.

"I think we have capable players coming in, but we're going to miss Paul," said sophomore midfielder Ryan Keeton.

Cantagello however, was confident his team could fill in the hole especially considering the return of junior midfielder Lee Williams. After being injured for the majority of the season, Williams has just recently reentered the Crimson lineup.

"We definitely have the players," Cantagello said. "With the return of Lee Williams, we can slip one of our experienced backs into the stopper position."

Most likely, sophomore Chinezi Chijioke will drop back to stopper, but also look for freshman Ryan Kelly to share the duty as well.

Harvard's problems this year have basically rested on offense, not defense. Too often it has played long ball, kicking it downfield in hopes that the frontrunners- captain Tom McLaughlin or senior forward Toure McCluskey-could retrieve it.

Instead, Harvard must utilize its superior speed and ball control, making short passes downfield.

"We have to keep our composure out there and keep the ball at our feet," Hollinger said.

Harvard finally executed against Providence, and McLaughlin-last year's leading point man-exploded for two goals. With a similar effort the Crimson should succeed.

"It's going to be a crazy environment-everyone will be there," said sophomore forward Will Hench. "If we keep playing our game as usual, we should win."