Loker Gives Samples

* Eatery offers free tastings of new items

By Kevin S. Schwartz, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

At Loker Commons there's no such thing as a free lunch. Free samples, yes.

Vendors will provide free sample sections of various commercial products-from Pizzeria Uno personal pies to Stony-field frozen yogurt-at Loker today and tomorrow.

The free samples are designed to make students aware of Loker's recent facelift and completely revamped menu. In response to surveys collected from students last spring, Loker Commons is offering more brand name fast-food products, and the free samples offer students a chance to re-evaluate their opinions of the on-campus eatery.

"A lot of the changes made in Loker reflect what the students asked for...they wanted fast food and big names," said Assistant Director for Campus Restaurants David P.Davidson.

Though the event is sponsored by Harvard Dining Services (HDS), the cost of the new sampling project will be absorbed by outside vendors who now peddle their wares at Loker, with the exception of the Harvard Bakery and AJ's Grill, whose distributions will be paid for by Loker Commons.

To date, the student responses to Loker changes has been overwhelmingly positive.

"My friends and I were psyched about the changes. Hopefully, they will work to get more people to frequent Loker," said Mary L.Gallagher'98.

"The changes are nice, and the sampling is a great commercial idea," said Robert D.Smith'00. "It's great to be able to swing down to get a quick bite to eat or coffee between classes."

According to HDS Project Manager Alexandra E.McNitt, HDS is sponsoring the sampling project in order to get students interested in spending more time at Loker.

Another Dining Services program with a similar focus, "Frequent User" cards are an ongoing project that may eventually include all Loker food merchants-allowing students to earn free food and discounts. The cards are currently available for Pizzeria Uno.

Students can sample Seattle's Best Coffee today from 10 to 11 a.m., the Harvard Bakery from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., Borgo Cafe Sushi and Don Miguel Burritos from noon to 1 p.m. and Stonyfield Farm Frozen Yogurt from 1 to 2 p.m.

Samples will be available tomorrow from the Harvard Bakery from 10 to 11 a.m., Kahiki Asian Cafe from 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., Pizzeria Uno from 12 to 1 p.m. and AJ's Grill from 1 to 2 p.m.