Council Funding Survey Results Released

By Barbara E. Martinez, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Although 60 percent of the student body wants the Undergraduate Council to increase funding to student groups, only 44 percent would spend their own money to do it.

The poll, taken in conjunction with last month's council elections, drew 2,004 responses. Currently each student has the option to pay a $20 term bill fee to support the council. The council disburses a budget of more than $160,000 per annum towards grants to student groups, student services and events.

Finance Committee Chair Robert S. Schwartz '00 said that at this semester's student group summit, increased funding was the most common request.

"I'm not surprised by the 60 percent supporting increases for student groups," Schwartz said. "Hopefully the administration can see that this is a need for student groups."

In contrast to the results on student group funding, only 47 percent of those respondents favored an increase in funding for social events. But 46 percent of students said they would favor an increase of at least $5 in term bill fees for better-funded social events.

"The proporation right now is probably good," said the council's Vice President-elect Samuel C. Cohen '00, chair of the Campus Life Committee(CLC)--which organizes social events.

"We need to look for ways to get more money for the whole pie," Cohen added.

Cohen and Beth A. Stewart '00, the president-elect, ran on the issue of more money for student groups. They 1more money for student groups. They have proposed a five-step plan which includes alumni solicitation and the establishment of an endowment for student groups.

Of those students willing to increase the funding, a majority support an increase of $10, rather than $5.

Current council member Lamelle D. Rawlins '99 said "the poll clearly demonstrated student commitment to supporting student groups."

But she said the administration should take a leading roll in providing funding. Rawlins and council member Adam S. Vaina '99, who is a member of the task force on student groups than other colleges. Vaina said the student governments of both Brown and Cornell Universities have more than half a million dollars to distribute to student groups.

Vaina said that the task force is looking into fundraising options with Student Activities Coordinator Susan Cooke and Dean of Students Archie C. Epps III. One option is to place an ad in the Harvard Magazine to make alumni aware of the problem and solicite contributions for an endowment.

"We can't increase the term bill fees because students aren't going to want it. Doing it through alumni would be more painless," Vaina said. "We're just sort of impoverished even though we're Harvard."

Rawlins said that the council needs to improve its image before students will agree to higher term bill fees.

"Despite the efforts of the Finance Committee to reach out we still have a discrepancy between the amount requested and the amount given," Rawlins said