M. and W. Track Teams Kill Huskies

By Richard B. Tenorio, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Battling both the blahs of reading period and the Huskies of Northeastern, the Harvard men's track team stymied N.U., 80-64, on Saturday at the Gordon Track Center.

"It was close for a little while, and there was concern," said sophomore Michael Harte, who won the 55 meter hurdles with a time of 7.62. "But then we pulled ahead."

Both Harte and senior Stephen Brannon, who won the pole vault, describes the meet as easy.

"I jumped to win--I didn't jump too high or anything," Brannon said. "There really wasn't anyone that competitive in the pole vault."

Senior Kevin Johnson, junior Kenneth Hughes and Freshman Arthur Fergusson also won events for Harvard.

Additionally, both the one mile relay and two mile relay teams won their respective events, with times of 3:25:38 and 7:59.03.

"We're a young team with lots of potential," Harte said. "We have really great athletes. "We're strong in the hurdles, the short sprints and the field events."

Women's

Defeating Northeastern for the first time since 1993, the Harvard women's track team breezed to a 76-42 rout of N.U. at the Gordon Track Center on Saturday.

"Our team has improved a lot," said senior Allison Goldkamp, who won the 400 meters with a time of 57.96. "We expected to win, but we were also cautions. It's a big win for us."

Freshman Dora Gyorffy and senior Margaret Angell led the Crimson with two first-place finishes. Gyorffy won both the high jump and triple jump, and Angell won the mile and the 800 meters. Gyorffy also competed in the long jump, which she had not done for three years.

"It was especially hard for myself in the long jump," Gyorffy said. "I didn't really have a chance."

Gyorffy had also faced a similarly-inauspicious situation in the first four jumps of the triple jump, including a placement of 11.96 in the third jump.

"I had never jumped under 12 meters in my life," Gyorffy said. "I didn't understand it."

However, Gyorffy pulled herself together to take the final event of the day, with a placement of 12.38.

"Our freshman class is very strong, and we have a good group of upperclassmen who consistently compete well," Goldkamp said.