W. Hockey Pounds Providence, 6-3

* Harvard tops Friars after weekend loss to Brown

By Rebecca A. Blaeser, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Both the physical and emotional sighs of relief were heard loud and clear from Bright Hockey Center yesterday after the Harvard women's hockey team disposed of Providence for only the second time in the program's history.

The convincing 6-3 win not only saw the resurgence of a struggling power play and the emergence of a sophomore scoring touch, but it also ended a five-game winless streak.

"This is the first win since Middlebury and that was over a month ago," said junior Claudia Asano. "It was not just by a goal either--it was by three; so it was a very definite win and solid at the end."

The victory was an added comfort considering the team was coming off a frustrating Brown loss the day before in which the Crimson succumbed to a three-gaol third period by the Bears to lose 3-1.

"It was a tough game [on Saturday] because we played fantastically and I think it took a little bit out of us," said Harvard Coach Katey Stone. "It was nice to see us come back and given almost a complete effort."

Against the Friars, despite a sluggish first period, the Crimson gave itself a little bit more of a cushion to start out with thanks to two quick goals by sophomores Courtney Smith and Kim McManama.

Memories of the Brown comeback soon surfaced, however, as the Friars pulled themselves right back into the game with a power-play goal in the first stanza and then the equalizer just 1:53 into the second period.

"We were winning after the first period, but it was luck that we were winning," Smith said. "It wasn't as if we were outplaying them at all. It was a close game and we just happen to get the goals."

Seven minutes later, the deja vu became even more intense when Providence's Jessica Tabb stormed down the right wing. Bearing down on Harvard netminder Jen Bowdoin (29 saves), Tabb cut to her lift, switched to the backhand and scooted her team's third goal of the game into the open net.

The similarities would end there, however, as the Crimson finally got to play the role of the spoiler and scored the game's next four goals.

First Smith one-timed a drop pass from Asano past Providence goaltender Megan Marfione 18 seconds later to tie the game at three. Asano then added for power-play blast from the left point for what proved to be the gamewinner.

"You really have to accentuate the times that we come back form a deficit and today was one of those days when we kept battling and battling," Stone said. "We're coming along and on any given day we just have to believe that we can win and we'll be a lot better."

Smith, who transferred from the University of New Hampshire last year, solidified the Crimson win with her third goal of the game at the 4:29 mark of the final period.

This time Smith was able to redirect a slapshot from the right point by Asano past Marfione. That fifth tally not only gave the sophomore a career first hat trick, but it was also Harvard's second power-play goal of the game.

"It's been wavering all year long," said Asano of the team's struggling special team unit. "We took time and I think that's real important. Usually we rush it and freak out, but today we thought about it and played well."

Junior Jen Gerometta stuffed home the final tally and sent a much-needed wave of relief over the Harvard bench.

"We started to get a little nervous at times and weren't sure how to win it until the third period," Stone said. "We played hard and you can't ask for more than that."

First Period

Har--Smith 1 (Francisco, Walsh) 8:33.

Har--McManama 1 (Gerometta, Dunn) 10:27.

Pro--Rosen 1 (Yates, Tabb) 19:51. (PPG)

Second Period

Pro--Bill 1 (Schairer, Cahill) 1:53.

Pro--Tabb 1 (Hanson) 8:54.

Har--Smith 2 (Asano) 9:13.

Har--Asano 1 (Francisco, Smith) 19:16. (PPG)

Third Period

Har--Smith 3 (Asano, Notman) 4:29. (PPG)

Har--Gerometta 1 (Francisco, Smith) 16:08.

Saves: Pro--Marfione 9-4-2 15:Har--Bowdoin 10-8-11 29.

Power Play: Pro--1/6: Har--2/5.

First Period

No scoring.

Second Period

Har--Dunn 1 (Suurkask, Gerometta) 15:53.

Third Period

Bro--Graat 1 (Jiska) :22.

Bro--Kenney 1 (Jones, Kauth) 7:17.

Bro--Jones 1 (Graat, Jiska) 15:03.

Saves: Bro--Brewer 13-10-10 33: Har--springer 8-15-15 38.

Power Play: Bro--0/3: Har--0/2. PROVIDENCE  3 HARVARD  6

BROWN  3 HARVARD  1

HARVARD, 6-3 at Bright Hockey Center Providence  1  2  0  --  3 Harvard  2  2  2  --  6

BROWN, 3-1 at Bright Hockey Center Brown  0  0  3  --  3 Harvard  0  1  0  --  1

BROWN  3 HARVARD  1