Weekend Arts Event Protests Columbus Day

A group of poets, performers and musicians gathered outside the Science Center yesterday to protest Columbus Day and to promote ethnic studies at Harvard University in an event called Syzygy.

Syzygy, whose name comes from the idea that the whole can be greater than sum of its parts, brought together a diverse group of students whose goal was to present an alternative history on a day that event organizers claim only mainstream history has made into a holiday.

According to event organizer Sasha Costanza-Chok '98, the goal was to counter mainstream history by presenting the historical views of individuals or groups who normally would not be heard.

"Columbus Day is a great day to reflect on the continued presence of colonialism in American society and the lack of interrogation of America's past," Costanza-Chok said.

Columbus Day, he said, commemorates the "first step on this continent of white supremacy and the first sign of United States' exploitation of nations around the world."

Many event organizers expressed their sorrow that Columbus Day continues to be celebrated as a holiday.

Nisrin Elamin '99 said, "It's a celebration of the massacre of millions of Native Americans; it should be a day of mourning rather than a day of celebration."

Organizers also hoped the event would encourage a wide variety of ethnic groups to come together and push the administration for more diverse ethnic studies at Harvard.

Michael K. Tan '01, one of the Syzygy organizers, said he encourages the administration to include more groups in Harvard's ethnic studies offerings, including Native Americans.

Participants in the event were enthusiastic about Syzgy's mission.

Omolara O. Fatiregun '00 whose emotional reading of her original poem "Persevere" thrilled the audience, said she was pleased with the event because "it was a good reflection of Harvard's student population."

She said those who "are somehow different from mainstream culture" will often have their voices left out of history.

Audience members were pleased with the event, which had a wide range ofperformances, from hip-hop and reggae music, toballet dancing and a performance by the KoreanAssociation drum troupe. Some said they felt itwas a great opportunity for people to expressthemselves.

Sasha E. Radin '98 said "it is a great idea,there's not enough of this at Harvard."

Frank L. Samson, a Divinity School student,said the event is "valuable because it creates asafe space for dialogue on issues that areimportant to Harvard students", and it "was a goodmix of entertainment with a positive message."

Aziza J. Johnson '00 said the event was a goodidea because it "allows undergraduates to hearviews that we don't get in the classroom."

Her only disappointment with the event was thatmore people did not show up. "Maybe it is toocold, or there was not enough publicity", shesaid.

Syzygy was sponsored by Education for Actionand the Office of the Arts