Murder Haunts 'Coming Out Day'

By Glenn A. Reisch, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Members of the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) celebrated National Coming Out Day by tabling in front of Widener Library yesterday.

Volunteers handed out free stickers featuring a sketch by artist Keith Haring to passers-by as other participants drummed up support for the event by dancing to the sounds of "It's Rainin' Men" and "I Will Survive."

A black donation box in the middle of the table set a somber note. Club members were soliciting contributions for the organization's "Shepard Memorial Fund."

Matthew Shepard, a gay student at the University of Wyoming, died Monday after an attack last week. He was beaten and left for dead after revealing his sexual orientation in a local bar in Laramie, where the university is located.

BGLTSA Co-Chair Adam A. Sofen '01, who is also a Crimson editor, said this year's Coming Out Day is of particular importance because it raises visibility for gays and lesbians both nationally as well as on campus.

Other members of the group seemed to agree. Chloe J. Lopez '96-'99 said the event lets bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgendered students know that they can take pride in their identity because there is indeed an "accepting" community at Harvard.

Sofen, however, was also quick to express his hope that both the queer presence on Harvard's own campus and the activities associated with Coming Out Day raise awareness of Shepard's death.

"This event should be a celebration," he said. "We should appreciate strides that have been made at Harvard [but] be ever-vigilant about anti-gay sentiment elsewhere."

In addition to the stickers, BGLTSA members handed out pamphlets titled "do boyness" and "do girlness." Both contained statistics about rates of anti-homosexual violence as well as contact phone numbers for various bisexual, gay, lesbian and transgender support groups and social clubs on campus. Condoms were also provided at the organization's table, courtesy of Education for Action, and t-shirts were on sale for $12 each.

Although not everyone who was offered a Coming Out Day sticker accepted one, a large number of students showed their support for the BGLTSA's activities.

Ali Ruth Davis '00 smiled as she received her sticker.

"It's really important to support the gay and lesbian community [at Har-

she said. "No one should feel uncomfortable wearing these stickers."

Other students, like Angelica Chazaro '01, were attracted by the club's catchy presentation. "I think this is a great event," she said. "Music in the Yard is always fun."

Even members of the Cambridge community at large seemed to be impressed with the Coming Out Day presentation and its overt concern with Shepard's death.

Kareem Worrell, a senior at the Cambridge Rindge and Latin School, said he was happy to accept a sticker.

The BGLTSA's celebration of National Coming Out Day helped to raise awareness of hate crimes as well as "help other students who might be closeted feel a gay and lesbian presence--not [that they] necessarily have to come out, but [so they can] feel comfortable on campus," Worrell said.

BGLTSA volunteers noted that students should expect to see other Coming Out Day events throughout the week.

Although nothing has been finalized, plans are in the works for a memorial service commemorating Shepard as well as a study break to be held Thursday