Panthers Give Collins Cold Cut

CHARLOTTE, N.C.--Kerry Collins, drafted to be the cornerstone of the Carolina Panthers, was cut yesterday, six days after he said his heart was no longer into being the club's quarterback.

The team announced its move less than an hour after the NFL's trading deadline passed. Coach Dom Capers said the Panthers spoke with at least 10 teams over several days to gauge what interest the rest of the league might have in Collins. After finding no takers, Carolina elected to waive him.

"I certainly don't take any joy in making this decision," Capers said. "But from day one, I've stated that every decision that I'll make will be in the best interests of the Carolina Panthers. And with all the circumstances involved here, this was a decision we felt that we had to make."

The Panthers have lost seven consecutive games, five this season, the longest losing streak in the three-plus years of the franchise.

Collins, 25-21 as Carolina's starter, walked into Capers' office last Wednesday and told him he thought it would be best for the team if someone else were to take over as the starter.

Capers said that as word of Collins' request began to filter through the locker room, it quickly became apparent the quarterback no longer would have the backing of his teammates, many of whom felt betrayed.