Cambridge Homophobic, Too

Letters

The activities surrounding Coming Out Day were reported on by The Crimson as was Matthew Shepard's death, and opinions regarding the political climate in Washington and the country were presented. But there was little commentary or reporting on attitudes in Cambridge and specifically at Harvard.

I grew up in Colorado and have spent much time in Wyoming. I know that my home state and Wyoming are publicly much less welcoming to gays than many areas, but Cambridge also still has a very long way to go. I am very surprised that none of the longer articles in the paper of Oct. 13 mentioned the incident that was reported in the police log of the same paper. It reported that on Oct. 8 a Cambridge resident was held at knifepoint for an hour while being asked if he was a "fag."

These homophobic attitudes do not just exist in Wyoming and Washington. We need to fight the big fight, but we also need to support gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgendered members of our own community. ANITA M. BOWLES   Oct. 15, 1998 The writer is a third-year graduate student in physics and a tutor in Winthrop House.