Crowds Flock to Head Of the Charles Regatta

By Robert B. Davis, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Enjoying unseasonably high temperatures and bright sunshine, tens of thousands of spectators flocked to the banks of the Charles River this weekend to watch the annual Head of the Charles Regatta.

The event drew high school, college and professional rowers from across the country as well as a number of international crews.

While the participants in the regatta were focused on their races, some said they were still able to enjoy the weekend.

Andrew G. M Pappa, a first-year at Tulane University and a competitor said, "It was a lot of fun, I'm glad I came up."

Others were happy just to be spectators.

"The atmosphere is great," said Jason D. North '00. "It's good to get outside in this nice weather to cheer friends on."

While the rowing enthusiasts in the crowd focused on the events on the river, many Harvard students were enjoying the food and free samples in numerous tents along the shore.

Legal Seafood, Nantucket Nectars and Claritin were among the vendors at the regatta.

M. Marit Rehavi '01 likened the event to "a big block party."

Timothy P. Durrett '99 said he had no regrets about the time he spent going to the event, homework notwithstanding.

"It's totally worth the time to be out here," he said. "It's just one of those Harvard things you should do"

While many students enjoyed the weekend festivities, some students expressed dissatisfaction with the increased security during the event.

Jack A. Hight '00, a Quincy House resident, said he did not like the extra security because some of the House gates were closed during the event.

"I think it is a waste, I hate having to walk around," he said.

Hight said while he thought the police did a good job patrolling the gates, he did notthink the extra security was necessary.

Maria C. Catilo '02, a Wigglesworth Hallresident, echoed Hight's sentiments and said shethought the closed gates in the Yard actually madeconditions less safe for first-years who had to"trek around the Yard to find somewhere to getin."

"It's nice to know that Harvard cares so muchabout our welfare," said Joanna R. White '01, butthe extra security was "kind of unnecessary."

The Harvard University Police Department (HUPD)defended its weekend security measures.

HUPD spokesperson Peggy A. McNamara saidUniversity officials asked for the extra securitybecause there are so many people in the areasurrounding University property during theregatta.

She said it was protocol for there to be extrasecurity for an event of this size, but stressedthat it did not take away from regular HUPDweekend patrol.

"It's a collaborative effort between theHarvard University Administration, HUPD, theCambridge Police, and State police to ensure asafe environment for a sporting event of thismagnitude," she said.

"There's no way to anticipate how the weekendis going to play out--thousands of people go tothe event," McNamara said.

However, McNamara said this weekend was a quietone for HUPD.

"There were no incidents that I had been madeaware of," she said