Field Hockey Keeps Rolling Along

By Owen Breck, SPECIAL TO THE CRIMSON

CHESTNUT HILL--Heading into its biggest week of the season, the Harvard field hockey team (7-5, 3-1 Ivy) increased its winning streak to five games with a 6-3 victory at Providence and a 1-0 victory over Stanford.

The weekend games displayed two different and very positive sides of this Crimson squad which started 2-5 but has rebounded in spectacular fashion behind an unbelievable offensive explosion led by captain Judy Collins.

Collins had three goals and an assist against the hapless Lady Friars in Providence, R.I. on Friday to lead the attack. The Crimson stomped on its opponents early, taking a 4-0 lead and never letting the opposition into the game.

Collins was joined in the scoring column by junior Katie Schoolwerth who had a goal and an assist, sophomore Kate Nagle, and freshman Hilary Walton who scored the first goal of her career.

The huge offensive effort gave the Crimson a remarkable 17 goals in four games. Collins scored seven of those in a week in which she demolished the Harvard career points record, upping her total to 90. It also demonstrated that this Crimson team can go for the jugular and knock out their opponents with scoring punch.

Against Stanford--one of the few competitive West Coast teams--the Crimson proved it could win with its defense as well.

The Cardinal had the better of play in the first half, looking very comfortable on the slick artificial turf at Boston College's Alumni Stadium. Stanford was cheered on by a huge contingent of fans and parents decked out in wigs and cheerleading outfits. HARVARD  6 PROVIDENCE  3 HARVARD  1 STANFORD  0

Late in the first period, however, the Crimson started to assert itself with tough midfield work and good combination play and it realigned the attack to put pressure on the vulnerable right side of the Stanford defense.

Predictably, it was Collins who was the catalyst for the Crimson goal. She got loose on the left side and dribbled in two-on-one with freshman Katherine Burrage on her right in the center of the field. The captain unselfishly pushed a pass to the first-year who banged her first shot off the post and then coolly collected the rebound and lifted it into the back of the net for her second goal of the season and the eventual game-winner only 1:21 from halftime.

After the break, the game settled into a tight defensive struggle sporadically punctuated by terrific opportunities on both sides. Clever passes from the midfield found streaking attackers cutting to the goal as both teams looked for the quick strike. Sophomore midfielder Maisa Badawy played a crucial role in the Harvard defense, marking and shutting down Cardinal standout Carey Cloyd.

However, the big difference for the Crimson was junior goaltender Anya Cowan, who notched her second shutout of the season and as always, was authoritative in the nets. She made two crucial saves and booted every loose ball surgically to the nearest and safest sideline.

"Anya was great and we played terrific individual and team defense," Harvard Coach Sue Caples said. "Against Providence, we showed we could create and capitalize on a lot of opportunities. Today, we showed poised and won the kind of close game that we were losing earlier in the season."

There were some anxious moments late in the game as the Cardinal pressure steadily mounted. They forced several corners and missed the net on a few dangerous shots, but the confidence the Crimson has built during its winning streak carried them through.

That confidence will need to serve them well as they head into a murderous week of play in which they will match up with the third and tenth ranked teams in the nation--Princeton and Boston College, respectively.

However, the games are also a terrific opportunity for the Crimson. With a win over the highly touted Tigers, would seize a share of first place in the Ivy League. First, however the Crimson will return to B.C. to face the Eagles Wednesday night under the lights. HARVARD, 6-3 at Hendricken Field, Providence, R.I. Harvard  4  2  --  6 Providence  2  1  --  3

First Half Har--Collins (unassisted) 32:18. Har--Walton (Schoolwerth) 29:26. Har--Collins (Schoolwerth) 23:59. Har--Schoolwerth (unassisted) 11:51. Prov--Hebert (unassisted) 10:12. Prov--Hebert (unassisted) 7:29.

Second Half Har--Collins (unassisted) 32:18. Prov--Lerch (Hebert) 3:30. Har--Nagle (Collins) 00:02. Saves: Har--Cowan 4; Prov--Tattersall 2, Weyl 2. HARVARD, 1-0 at Alumni Stadium, Boston College Stanford  0  0  --  0 Harvard  1  0  --  1

First Half Har--Burrage (Collins) 1:21. Saves: Har--Crowley 2;--Cowan 5.