W. Soccer Thumps George Mason

Harvard wins twice at annual invitational

By Eduardo Perez-giz, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

As host of the fourth annual Harvard Invitational tournament, the Harvard women's soccer team could have been gracious this weekend.

The Crimson decided instead to score seven goals in two games at Ohiri Field and capture the tournament title, sending Cornell, Northeastern and George Mason home bitter and unfulfilled. NORTHEASTERN  0 HARVARD  5 GEORGE MASON  1 HARVARD  2

Harvard (8-2-1, 4-0 Ivy) exploded for five goals against Northeastern (2-11-1) on Friday to crush the Huskies, 5-0. The Crimson then dominated George Mason (10-5, 4-2 Colonial Athletic) yesterday, recovering from an early deficit with two second-half goals for a 2-1 victory.

"We've been working on this," said Harvard Coach Tim Wheaton. "We've been working on scoring goals, and we felt like we needed a game to get a bunch of goals in. And they were sweet goals, they were nice."

Five different Harvard players scored in the tournament, and seven Crimson players registered assists. Co-Captain Emily Stauffer led the way for the Crimson with two goals and two assists, and she was named to the All-Tournament team.

Senior forward Naomi Miller registered two goals and one assist on the weekend, including the game-winner against George Mason. Junior midfielder Ashley Berman and sophomore midfielder Meredith Stewart each tallied a goal and an assist as the Crimson ran its unbeaten streak to eight games.

Harvard 5, Northeastern 0

A Harvard offense that has struggled to capitalize on its many scoring opportunities this season finally opened the floodgates against Northeastern.

The grossly overmatched Huskies mounted little opposition to the Crimson's attack. Harvard controlled the ball, and the match, the entire afternoon thanks in part to a key coaching decision by Wheaton.

About 17 minutes into the game, Wheaton moved Berman into the center-midfielder position normally occupied by Stauffer and put Stauffer on the outside to open up space for her. The move paid immediate dividends, and Harvard's scoring barrage began in the 18th minute.

Stauffer started the play by schooling two Northeastern defenders with a series of left-to-right moves that left the Huskies befuddled. Stauffer dribbled into the box and sent a cross to the center of the net where Berman and Miller both lay in waiting.

Berman touched the ball to Miller who came sliding in and pushed the ball into thegoal as Northeastern goalkeeper Cindy Cochrancharged her and landed on top of her.

"It finally fell for us," Miller said. "Wereally picked it up and put the ball in the backof the net."

Less than five minutes after Miller's tally,the Crimson struck again. Senior back AshleyMarynick sent a corner kick into the box where itwas knocked around by several players.

The ball came off Miller's head to juniorforward Beth Zotter past the far post. Zotterbacked down her defender and sent a shot on goalwith the back of her foot, giving Harvard a 2-0advantage.

The Crimson was obviously in the zone, becausethe scoring did not end there. In the 26th minute,freshman midfielder Jenine Ghani sent a nice ballup the right sideline where Stauffer chased itdown.

The All-American did her thing once again,beating one defender and rushing toward the net.Stauffer waited for Cochran to charge and thenbeat the goal-keeper low to the far post.

"We were obviously excited to score a lot ofgoals; it's something we haven't done all season,"Stauffer said. "Lots of times when you playagainst a team that's not as good as you, you tendto play down to their level. I thought we did agood job keeping our intensity up."

The score remained 3-0 until halftime, and withthe game well in hand, Harvard saved its mostattractive goals for the second half. The firstcame at the 57:20 mark courtesy of Berman.

The Portland, Or. native controlled the ballnear midfield and began her run at the net asWheaton yelled, "Have it, Ash Berman." She obligedher coach and fired a shot over Cochran to the farpost from 25 yards out to the upper corner of thenet.

Stewart, however, would not be out-done. In the82nd minute of play, Stewart sent a direct kickfrom just outside the 18-yard box over a wall ofNortheastern defenders. The ball curled back outand made its way inside the near post forHarvard's final tally.

"I think one of our problems has been thatwe've had lots of opportunities, but we haven'tbeen able to put many of them away early," Bermansaid. "After [Miller] scored, I think it gave therest of us a lot confidence."

By the 64:20 mark, all of the Crimson'sstarters were relaxing on the bench. Harvardoutshot Northeastern 25-7. Seniors Jen Burney andMeredith Bagley combined for the shutout in net,with Bagley making two key saves late in the gameto preserve the goose egg.

Friday's contest also saw the return of juniorGina Foster to Harvard's lineup. Foster, who hadnot played since suffering a sprained ankle versusYale on Sept. 19, came off the bench in the secondhalf and showed no ill effects, setting up severalscoring chances for the Crimson.

"[Foster] is such an incredible player,"Wheaton said. "There are not many players who canbe dominant players at both ends of the field, andshe can. Having her back is huge."

With Harvard leaving little doubt as to whowould win the match, most of the excitement camefrom the sidelines at the end of the first half.Wheaton was arguing with the referee in typicalfashion, and the ref ordered him to "sit down andbe quiet" for the remainder of the match, addingthat since Wheaton's team was ahead 3-0, he shouldnot complain.

Wheaton retorted that the score should notdictate the officiating of a game. The refereecalled for a time stoppage and issued Wheaton ayellow card. It was Wheaton's first card of theseason.

"He told me the score was 3-0, and I told himthat the score doesn't matter in how you call thegame," Wheaton said. "It was no big deal. I thinkit's a record; it's the longest I've ever made itin a season without getting a card."

As lopsided as the score was, it could havebeen worse. Miller had five excellent shots ongoal, including two breakaways, that were turnedback by Cochran. But Miller would earn herredemption just 48 hours later.

Harvard 2, George Mason 1

For the second consecutive year, Miller wasHarvard's savior against George Mason. The seniorscored the game-winning goal against the Patriotslast year in triple-overtime of the Crimson'ssecond-round match in the NCAA Tournament.

On a less dramatic stage, Miller offered areprise yesterday.

With the score knotted at 1-1 in the 84thminute, Stauffer controlled the ball at the top ofthe George Mason box and dropped it back to juniormidfielder Julia Blain. Blain sent a cross wide tothe right of the box that initially seemed errant.

It turned out to be nearly perfect as Millershowed on the right side behind her defender. Shecame sliding in as Patriots' goalkeeper JaimePagliarulo charged her, but Miller won the battleand sent the ball rolling by Pagliarulo into anunprotected net.

"It felt a lot better because it wasn't tripleovertime," Miller said. "After they scored, wewere pretty confident that we were going to get itback. We weren't too worried; we were getting ourchances, we just had to put them in."

Things did not look promising for the Crimsonin the first 10 minutes of the match. At 9:01George Mason junior midfielder Jaime Ricker sent across into the box over the outstretched arms ofHarvard junior goalkeeper Anne Browning. Patriots'freshman forward Katy Robertson stood at the farpost and headed the ball past Browning to giveGeorge Mason an early 1-0 lead.

After the Patriots' goal, however, Harvarddominated the rest of the first half. Led byStauffer, Miller, Berman and Blain, the Crimsonrelentlessly attacked the Patriots' net. Blain didan excellent job in relief of co-captain DevonBingham, who was suffering from the flu.

"The player that made the difference today wasJulia Blain," Wheaton said. "Devon Bingham issick, tries to go, can't; Julia Blain steps in anddominates. She did an amazing job."

Harvard may have played its best soccer of theseason in the first half, but had no goals to showfor it at halftime. Still, the Crimson had chancesto spare.

In the game's 16th minute, Miller led Bermanwith a beautiful ball into the box where Bermanwas apparently tripped before she could get a shotoff. No foul was called.

In the 32nd minute, Berman's corner kick cameinto the box, where it was headed by two differentplayers and came to Stauffer on the far post.Stauffer blasted a shot by Pagliarulo that struckthe left post. The rebound came to Berman whofired wide left.

Stauffer may have missed once, but she wouldnot be denied again. In the 68th minute, Stewartsent a corner kick to the far post where Stauffercontrolled it, spun and lofted a shot across thebox that traveled over the lunging Pagliarulo andhugged the top of the net for the equalizer.

"We had a talk with the team about stepping upand getting it done," Wheaton said. "[Stauffer] isjust getting into it. You sit out a year, and it'shard. I think the more games she has, the more shegets into her flow."

"I think today was the Emily of old," Wheatoncontinued. "She was all over the place, feedingpeople and making things happen."

One minute after Stauffer's score, juniorsweeper Jessica Larson engaged in a series ofplays that saved the game for Harvard. With GeorgeMason desperately pressing, Robertson broke freebehind the Crimson's defense for a clear shot.Larson raced back and made a beautiful tackle inthe box to strip Robertson of the ball and thwarther chance.

Three and a half minutes later, Larson outdidherself. Patriots' freshman Page Henry rushed infrom the left and sent a soft, rolling shot towardthe net that beat Browning. Larson raced back andmade an incredible sliding save, kicking the ballwide just before it crossed the goal line.

Larson was so excited about her play that shejumped into Browning's arms and the two hugged incelebration. The ball, however, was still in play.

"Anne and I were so overjoyed, and the ball wasstill in play; I was like, `Oh...'" Larson said."We've been working hard on taking care of bothsides of the scoreboard. We take a lot of pride inprotecting our goal, and we'll do anything to savea goal."

Larson was not the only defender prone toheroics. Browning, who had the orbital bone of herleft eye shattered in last year's George Masoncontest on a questionable play by a Patriots'player, exacted her revenge late in yesterday'scontest.

In the 76th minute, George Mason senior forwardShannon Timberlake dribbled through threedefenders and fired a shot on goal that Browningknocked away. One minute later Jennifer Jones camefree on another breakaway, and Browning madeanother brilliant save.

Larson and Browning's dauntless play set thestage for Miller's game winner.

"I don't like [George Mason] all that much; wehave some issues," Browning said. "I'm just happythat I could come up as big as my defensiveplayers. Jessie backs me up, and I'll back her up,on pretty much anything."

George Mason and Cornell both finished with 1-1records in the tournament, but the Patriots tooksecond place by virtue of their 2-0 victory overthe Big Red on Friday. Cornell defeatedNortheastern 5-2 in yesterday's early game tocapture third place and leave the Huskies infourth with an 0-2 tournament mark.

HARVARD, 5-0at Ohiri FieldNortheastern  0  0  --  0Harvard  3  2  --  5

ScoringHar--Miller (Stauffer, Berman) 17:15.Har--Zotter (Miller) 22:00.Har--Stauffer (Ghani) 25:24.Har--Berman (unassisted) 57:20.Har--Stewart (unassisted) 81:29.Shots: Nor 7, Har 25Saves: Nor--Cochran 10; Har--Burney, 57:20,1; Bagley, 32:40, 2.

HARVARD, 2-1at Ohiri FieldGeorge Mason  1  0  --  1Harvard  0  2  --  2

ScoringGM--Robertson (Ricker, Timberlake) 9:01.Har--Stauffer (Stewart) 67:30.Har--Miller (Blain, Stauffer) 83:43.Shots: GM 8, Har 16Saves: GM--Pagliarulo 7; Har--Browning, 5.

CrimsonAmber K. LavickaTATER ZOT:Junior BETH ZOTTER scoredHarvard's second goal Friday.

Harvard 5, Northeastern 0

Harvard 2, George Mason 1

Harvard 2, George Mason 1