off the beaten path

By Allie M. Fitzgerald

Cambridge offers the weekend pavement pounder much more than the Memorial Drive Sunday strip. To be fair, the spacious motorway is a welcome treat for the physically fit. And unless your preferred sport actually awards points for dodging Cantabridgian road ragers, it is indisputably one of the best exercise spots around town. But when distance running sounds more appealing than rollerblading, Mem Drive is simply not the best available option. Few people take the time to explore the surrounding areas, which are actually chock full of scenic alternative running routes. Here are a few ideas:

1. Don't completely abandon the river. Cross over to the Business School side as quick as possible and head towards Boston; the path gets especially beautiful near the hatch-shell. Feeling particularly adventurous? Head into Boston and keep your eyes peeled for the State House. On your way back, work your way through the Boston Common and the Public Garden. (About 10 miles)

2. We've all taken the T to the movie theater, but the Fresh Pond running path remains a hidden treasure. The paved path circumnavigates the aptly named Fresh Pond (go figure), and is only about 2 miles from Harvard. Every Saturday morning the course hosts a race (FREE to enter!) with the choice of 1 lap (2.5 miles) or 2 laps. Runners of all levels participate, although notable national champs have made surprise appearances.

3. Just past the quad lies Danehy Park. Particularly equipped for soccer, baseball, or ultimate frisbee, Danehy also has a short paved running trail. Although the complaint "the quad is too far" keeps most soccer and baseball junkies on the MAC quad, no self-respecting distance runner will think twice about the short jaunt up Garden Street.

4. Annoyingly hard core? Walden Pond is about a 13 mile bike ride from Cambridge, but the running paths are by far reputed to be the best around. The bike ride itself is quite hilly, but the scenery might (might) just make it worthwhile. Directions get a bit complicated, but head out of Cambridge on Garden Street, and get onto Concord Avenue west (turns into Rt. 16E). Take Rt. 16E to Alewife Brook Pkwy to Concord Tpke, and go left onto Walden Street.

5. Between 1.5 and 2 miles west on Mount Auburn rests (in peace) the Mount Auburn Cemetery. A few laps around these serene grounds may not exactly be encouraged by Cemetery personnel, but are certain to spiritually refresh any over-studied Harvard student. And be sure not to miss the stair-climbing cross-training challenge of the cemetery's tower; it has a killer view of downtown Boston.

6. Brattle Street is a simple straight-shot and offers a great tour of historic residential Cambridge. Rife with impressive architectural gems, the only bad thing about this pleasant route is the narrow sidewalk which is often impeded by pesky pedestrians (who let them walk here anyway?).