PBHA Director Resigns Post

Douglas leaves after five years with service group

By Adam M. Taub, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Michelle J. Douglas, one of four directors of programming for the Phillips Brooks House Association (PBHA) resigned from that position last week to become the executive director of the Neil J. Houston House, a Boston center for incarcerated women.

Douglas, who had worked at PBHA for the past five years, announced her resignation in an October 2 memo to Paul A. McDonald, executive director of PBHA and Judith H. Kidd, dean for public service. The resignation was effective last Friday.

Kidd said Douglas's move came as no surprise to her. "She had talked on and off for the last year-and-a-half," Kidd said.

Douglas has previously done work with the Neil J. Houston House, which specializes on working with incarcerated women with very young children.

Her new position matches her to her specialty--working with people from prison and people recently released from prison. At PBHA, Douglas oversaw the Prisoners' Education programs.

"It was really Michelle's dream, and she was enthusiastic to take this kind of opportunity," McDonald said.

McDonald is in charge of hiring a replacement for Douglas. He said he was still in the process of putting together a job description for her post.

"We have been working on the job description and we should have it posted within the next 24 hours," McDonald said late yesterday afternoon.

Kidd said they expected a lot of applicants for the spot, but noted that it may be tough to find someone with the right qualifications.

"Depending on how we draw up the job description we may have difficulty replacing her," she said.

Douglas worked with student leaders overseeing a variety of committees and projects within PBHA, including the Committee on the Homeless and the Domestic Outreach Crisis Committee, in addition to the Prisoners' Education programs.

"We're very sorry to see her leave," said Arden O'Connor '00, co-director of the Suffolk County House of Corrections Program.

"Fortunately as the new director of the Houston House, Michelle will provide us with opportunities for increased involvement in prison education. But she will definitely be missed," she said.

Douglas was also instrumental in the University Lutheran Shelter, "Uni Lu," one of her major term-time responsibilities.

While the job description has not yet been finalized, McDonald said that it would certainly include Uni Lu in the description, and it might include summer camps or mentors programs as well.

"We are hoping to fill the position with the thought of trying to make sure that we address our short and long-term needs," McDonald said.