Big Red Question Mark Hovers Over Football

By H. JOSHUA Glassman, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Once upon a time, the Harvard football team was 9-1, the defending champions of the Ivy League a machine that could light up the scoreboard with its offense and put fear into other teams with its defense. That time has passed.

Mired in its first 0-3 start in 48 years and only the fourth in the program's 125 year history last year's glories and this year's high expectations have long since been forgotten. As it prepares for its second Ivy League matchup of the season against Cornell (2-1, 0-1 Ivy) tomorrow at Harvard Stadium, the Crimson is focused on a new task-turning the ship around.

Unquestionably, Harvard has seen steady improvement as the season has progressed. Since the opening day debacle at Columbia, the Crimson played increasingly better in losses to Colgate and Lehigh. In fact, after the first quarter-and-a-half of football last Saturday, it seemed as if Harvard was poised to win its home opener against undefeated Lehigh.

Up 17-0, Harvard had rediscovered its offensive capabilities with the return of junior running back Chris Menick and the stellar play of junior quarterback Rich Linden. On the strength of Menick's 114 yards rushing and Linden's precise passing, particularly to junior wide receiver Terrence Patterson, Harvard had the Mountain Hawks on their heels. However, Lehigh's defense soon clamped down, and its offense marched methodically, scoring touchdowns in the second, third, and fourth quarters to cap a 21-17 comeback win.

Despite the recent heartbreaker, the Crimson refuses to give up on a season once filled with higher hopes.

"I really think we are coming together offensively," sophomore tight end Chris Stakich said. "We have had an intense week of practice, and the guys are ready to play."

Harvard will have to be at the top of its game against the Big Red this week. Cornell is led by senior quarterback Mike Hood who was named Ivy League player of the week for his performance in a 34-31 win over Buffalo last Saturday. In the game, Hood completed 21 of 27 passes for 250 yards and a school record tying four touchdowns.

Hood's receiving corps is anchored by sophomore Joe Splendorio, who has caught 15 passes for 164 yards on the season. Opposite Splendorio is. J. B. Moresco, a 6-5 senior whose size has helped him to dominate opposing defensive backs in the Ivy League.

Despite Hood's talents the key to Harvard's success defensively will be its ability to contain Cornell's explosive rushing tandem of Deon Harris and Justin Bush. Harris the primary back is a powerful bruising presence who will try to wear down the Crimson front seven. Bush, a fleet-footed scatterback is a playmaker with tremendous speed.

"I always feel that if you stop the run, you have defeated their offense," Crimson linebacker Isaiah Kacyvenski said.

Defensively, the Big Red has a gem in senior middle linebacker John Hanson. Hanson is a two-time All-Ivy second team nominee, and he recorded a team-high 15 tackles in last week's win.

It seems as though Harvard is due for a breakout performance. Its steady improvement over the course of the season from an opening day shutout to a nailbiter last week, points to a turnaround this Saturday. And after three consecutive disappointments, a win against Ivy rival Cornell would be a perfect remedy for his season of frustration.