BGLTSA Discusses Politics, Sexuality

By Timothy E. Bazzle, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Members of Harvard's Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA) met in the Adams House Lower Common Room yesterday with Jarrett T. Barrios '90, the Democratic nominee in the 28th Middlesex District for the Massachusetts state legislature, to discuss the relationship between sexuality and politics.

The forum brought together members of the BGLTSA to debate and to challenge existing notions of the gay community within the larger heterosexual community.

Barrios, vying to be the first openly gay member of the legislature, answered questions about the merging of private and public spheres, sexuality and politics.

"It's not so much about grand and ultimate goals. We should use incremental change to make our changes," Barrios said. "It's important to keep active, to identify with your activism."

Students in the club used this forum to discuss the philosophical and social implications of their sexuality. The event featured debates about the merits and importance of legalized gay marriage.

Another contentious issue was the club's image, with members concerned about the tension between assimilation and demonstration. Barrios saw this decision as a "private choice."

"However someone choose to come out, it's something they must deal with on a private level," Barrios said. "There should not be exclusion one way or the other."

James C. Augustine '01 compared the club's identity to the relationship between sexuality and the political discourse.

"There can be many different splinter groups within the full community," Augustine said.

"We should not allow ourselves to be generalized, signified in one way. Instead we should try to show how open and diverse our community is."