First-Years Race in Halloween Grab

By Gregory S. Krauss, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

It's a rare event these days to see a cow grazing along the Charles River. It's even rarer to see a cow competing in an intramural race between first-year dorms.

But a large black-and-white cow--or at least a student dressed as one--was exactly what joined in the Charles River Run Saturday morning, when about 125 fist-years, many in Halloween grab, ran the 1.7 mile course.

About 20 parents visiting for Freshman Parents Weekend also joined in the melee, with several also dressing up.

The Charles River Run is an intramural event that occurs in the fall and the spring each year for all undergraduates. The first-year run is traditionally held around Halloween, but this is only the second year that organizers have encouraged creative dress.

The event drew almost twice as many participants as least year, when about 75 students participated, according to David J. Malan '99, a coordinator of the Frosh Intramural Program. Malan said the increased turnout was due in part to better publicity.

While many of the students ran hard vying for the top spots, with most choosing to run rather than walk, Malan said the day was characterized more by a sense of festivity.

"We're much more interested in seeing participation win out over a sense of competition," Malan said.

According to Malan, there were many interesting costumes at the event.

One student dressed as a dustbuster by painting blue swirls on his face, while another student showed up with a Burger King crown, Malan said.

A mother dressed up as the devil "with little red horns on her head," Malan said. As a gesture of solidarity, several parents dressed in matching outfits with their children, said Nat Chakeres '02, a resident of Weld Hall who took first place in the men's category.

The course began at the Newell Boathouse, and continued along the Charles to the Eliot Bridge. There, participants crossed over and made their way to the Anderson Bridge, which led them back to the finish line at the Newell Boathouse.

The first woman across the finish line was Marah C. Stith '02, a resident of Grays Hall, who dressed as a princess.

Students could score points for their dorms in a number of ways. Five points were awarded to dorms for each participant and an additional five for each costume. First-place finishers in the men's and women's categories received 25 points, with the next four finishers successively garnering five points fewer.

Grays Hall scored the most points of all the dorms. A total of 28 Grays students participated, and 13 wore costumes.

Grays also had one first-place finisher, one second-place finisher and two fifth-place finishers.

Running while in a costume was a challenge for some students. Benjamin M. Miller '02, who came in second place among men, said it was easier to take off as a cow was probably slowed by a full bodysuit--which had large udder attached--Malan saidit didn't matter.

"Inasmuch as she was there in a cow costume, Idon't think she was there to beat the crowd,"Malan said.

While there were not many people along theCharles early Saturday morning, Stith saidobservers seemed surprised. "I think the passersbywere a little worried," she said.

Chakeres said he felt the race was a success."Everybody had a good time....It was good weatherand it was funny," he said.

The top five male finishers were Chakeres,Miller, J. Nick Smith '00, Andrew D. Olsen '02 andCharles D. Draznin '02.

The top five female finishers were Stith,Noelle Van Camp '96, Larissa R. Chemock '02, JoanM. Cheng '02 and Melissa M. Gniadek '02