Prolonged Survival

MUSIC

By Peiyin PATTY Li, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

PROLONGING THE MAGIC

Cake

Capricorn Records

The band that gave us the nineties' version of "I Will Survive" now shows us that they can do just that--survive. Titled Prolonging the Magic, Cake's newest release doesn't use the exact same brand of magic as its last album, Fashion Nugget. Things are a little more upbeat this time around. The Sacramento, California-based band's latest work will probably appeal to even more people than just those "The Distance" freaks, who might be disappointed that there is no similar song on the album. Prolonging the Magic doesn't have all of the same ingredients as Cake's previous hits did, but it is not supposed to. Even as Cake evolves, it still delivers a unique sound that has room for everyone.

Right away, the music feels good. Make no mistake, this is not feel-good music. But you agree with vocalist John McCrea, accepting what the guitar has to say, the lyrics and everything else about the music. Whether McCrea is accusatory, contemplative or in love, he always fits. He takes his time and saunters through "Guitar" and "Mexico," a slow, soft and charming waltz that takes your hand and asks you to dance. The very first track, "Satan is my Motor," is sweet and funky at the same time; it's all you need to be happy for three minutes and twelve seconds. Straightforward and simple, the energy of the album is unmistakable. It's all so easy to like, so comfortable and exciting from the moment you first hear it. You can just feel yourself driving down the freeway under the summer sun, windows rolled all the way down, singing along.

The lyrics are simple and honest: "I had a match, but she had a lighter/I had a flame, but she had a fire." Or, "You're never ever there." There are fewer tricks and traps with irony than on Nugget--the members of Cake allow themselves to say and play what they mean. There is something to be said for a lack of double meanings.

There are also some dark and lazy tracks: "You Turn the Screws" and "Hem of Your Garment" are vindictive and repentant, respectively. You have to wonder, though, why all singers long for some lost love all the time. Isn't there anything else to talk about? Not that McRea does a bad job being sorry or thinking about a girl, but you have to ask, is that all there is in life to sing about? Still, the strength of the beat and the intricacies of the music impress you; you can tell that you are in the presence of honest and authentic musicians. Always creative, always innovative, Cake has a synergy of which most bands would and should be envious.

As Cake says, "Sheep go to heaven, goats go to hell." Well, maybe so. But they take a little bit of everything and make music with a fresh and original perspective--something rare and beautiful in the music industry. This band has always been a little different from everyone else, in a wonderful way. Don't ever call them standard or normal. At least, not yet. Raw energy and anger were more evident in earlier Cake music. Their two most widely-known songs, "The Distance" and "I Will Survive," stood out and were filled with intensity. Not so with this album. This new and somewhat optimistic energy has its value, but why ditch the smoldering resentment that so many fans identified with? Rage has never been what this band is about, but it's not impossible to claim that Cake has settled down a little with this album.

So many bands and artists today can get by on shaky or nonexistent musical skills and sensibilities. What else are studio musicians and synthesizers for? Cake, however, obviously has musical talent. The instrumental work is well-crafted, original and one of the best things about the band. The distinctive trumpet of Vince Di Fiore and Gabriel Nelson's masterful bass guitar are still here, although not necessarily better than ever. It just wouldn't be Cake without them. Cake's songs are becoming more structured, almost as if they have invested in songwriting lessons from the Beatles. As Cake appeals to more and more people, it will be interesting to see if they keep some of the creative soul that set them apart in the first place. But for the time being, Prolonging the Magic does just that.