Students Debate Ethnic Organizations

By Kevin E. Meyers, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

Student leaders debated the proper role of ethnic organizations in both campus and national politics at a panel last night in Harvard Hall.

The discussion, called "The Political Role of Ethnic Organizations," was sponsored by the Asian American Association (AAA), and drew about 16 observers.

The panel was composed of representatives from the Undergraduate Council, RAZA, Native Americans of Harvard-Radcliffe (NAHR), the Harvard-Radcliffe Republican Club, the Black Students Association (BSA) and the Institute of Politics (IOP).

Panelists argued over two main issues: the appropriateness of endorsing candidates for Undergraduate Council and the activism of many ethnic organizations.

Byron J. McLain '00, chair of the student advisory committee of the IOP, said ethnic student groups have a responsibility to educate their members about every candidate without explicitly offering an endorsement.

"Ethnic organizations should be more education centers for students as opposed to endrosers of candidates," he said. "It's very important for ethnic groups to be politically active, but they can be without endorsing a particular candidate."

Brian R. Smith '02, membership director for the Republican club, attacked the national scope taken by many student organizations and said that campus groups, particularly the council, should limit their concerns to college issues.

"The role of the U.C. is helping us enjoy ourselves at Harvard," he said.

But RAZA President Sergio J. Campos '00 defended the interest in national issues demonstrated by many ethnic student groups.

"It's completely irresponsible to say that we don't have a voice in national news," he said, calling last year's grape controversy an opportunity for Harvard to influence the nation.

Campos said student organizations cannot avoid being political.

"I think politics has to do with just about everything," Campos said. "You cannot shirk your political responsibility by making politics something you do on the side."

Kamil E. Redmond '00, BSA's lecture series chair and a candidate for the council's vice presidency, echoed Campos' opinions.

"We are here to be a political voice--I think that is necessary," said Redmond, who is also a Crimson editor.

But Redmond said ethnic groups' political actions should not include endorsements of candidates.

Samuel C. Cohen '00, current vice president of the council, supported endorsements, but said ethnic groups should not base their endorsements solely on a candidate's ethnicity.

"I would hope that ethnic organizations don't feel that the only candidate to endorse is someone in their ethnic background," he said. "BSA should endorse a candidate regardless of whether there are no black candidates or 10 black candidates," he added.

The BSA did not endorse a candidate for this year's council race because many of their members are running for positions, Redmond said