Send It to the Senate

Dissent

The staff's lingering affection for President Clinton clouds its judgment. There is bipartisan agreement that President Clinton has comitted perjury. Even the Democrats' drafted censure resolution includes this acknowledgement. The contention that perjury is not an impeachable offense is unconvincing.

Truth is the foundation of our justice system. Trivializing the obligation to testify truthfully in a court room, regardless of the matter under investigation, is a serious, high crime against the state. President Clinton ought to do the honorable thing and resign, but his recent public statement indicate his extreme unwilligness to so. It's time for the President finally to step up and take responsibility for his actions in the open forum that a Senate impeachment trial would provide. It seems likely that the House will vote to impeach on Thursday. The staff's protestations aside, it is the right thing to do. --Andrew S. Chang '99,   Jenny E. Heller '01,   Vasant M. Kamath '02,   Richard S. Lee '01,   Kevin E. Meyers '02,   Noah D. Oppenheim '00,   Joshua H. Simon '00,   Susannah B. Tobin '00