Wilson Remains Quiet On Radcliffe's Future

By Adam A. Sofen, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

With another semester closing and the future status of Radcliffe College still undecided, President Linda S. Wilson remained tight-lipped last week about the direction of ongoing discussions with Harvard.

Though eight months of silence have passed since news outlets first reported that top-level administrators from both schools were engaged in negotiations, Wilson maintained Thursday that the process has not stalled.

"We are in a continual discussion process that is moving apace and in a way which is positive and good," she said. "There is not a need to be looking for hitches or concerns."

Wilson denied that progress is coming too slowly, though in recent months some alumnae and students have clamored for more information about the organizational options for Radcliffe.

"I think until some decisions have been made, that thirst is not going to be satisfied," said Susan J. Oliver '78, president of the Radcliffe Club of Chicago.

Wilson said discussions involving the future of a 119-year-old institution must move at a slow and deliberate pace.

"From where we sit, we don't look at it as something that's been going on for a very long time," Wilson said. "We're not just looking at the next 10 years; we're looking at a long horizon of 25 years to a century."

But other Fay House officials have said a substantial announcement by the end of the academic year is essential for Radcliffe's image.

"We have to get on with it," said Vice President for College Relations Bonnie R. Clendenning. "I don't want to be making a decision when the year 2000 rolls around-I think 1999 is the year."

Clendenning said a constant media focus on Radcliffe has led to inflated public expectations that discussions will result in "earth-shattering" changes.

She added that the long wait for a decision has only added to alumnae apprehension.

"Waiting for the dentist is infinitely worse than being in the dentist's office," she said. But Wilson said concern for public opinion isnot driving the negotiations.

"This institution-and any excellentinstitution-does not run off of people'sperceptions," she said.

Few details about the negotiations have beenreleased to the public. Wilson declined to nameofficials involved in the ongoing "private"discussions, but said "the appropriate people inleadership positions" have been involved.

Harvard administrators have been moreforthcoming in recent months.

In an interview earlier this month, PresidentNeil L. Rudenstine noted that current talksbetween the two institutions include ProvostHarvey V. Fineberg '67 and Dean of the Faculty ofArts and Sciences Jeremy R. Knowles.

"Insofar as saying, 'Gee, there are academicissues here,' we've said we need Dean[Knowles] andthe Provost to be looking at [them]," Rudenstinesaid.

Although final agreements would need to beapproved by Harvard and Radcliffe, Fineberg andRudenstine have both said they are waiting forRadcliffe to decide its own future beforenegotiations can conclude.

Any such decision would require the goahead ofthe Radcliffe Board of Trustees and its chairman,Nancy-Beth G. Sheerr'71.

According to Fineberg, Radcliffe and Harvardofficials have made some progress sincediscussions began.

"[The negotiations have reached] clarity,understanding of objectives, clarity of options,"he said. Fineberg declined to elaborate on thoseoptions, however.

Wilson also refused to disclose her own"personal vision" for the future of Radcliffe,calling it part of the "private conversations."

Instead, she said alumnae and students can restassured that Radcliffe "will grow and grow instature, in scope and in value to society.