Ambassador Sonn Lauds Mandela

By Elizabeth A. Gudrais, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

South Africa's ambassador to the United States praised Nelson Mandela's leadership and character while enthusiastically endorsing his country's president-elect in a speech last night in the Kennedy School of Government's (KSG) Starr Auditorium.

Franklin Sonn, the first U.S. ambassador from a democratic South Africa, used anecdotes to characterize Mandela's presidency as exceptionally principled. Toward the end of his talk, he offered a glowing vision of the future under Thabo Mbeki, the country's new president-elect.

Sonn designated the speech as his "valedictory address to America," since it comes at the end of his four-year term as ambassador.

Sonn claimed that Mandela resolves the contradictions in values rife in the world today.

"His recipe of life is simple," Sonn said. "Do what is moral rather than what is expedient".

Sonn linked Mandela to other black role models, such as Martin Luther King Jr., Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. DuBois, class of 1890, and Anwar Sadat.He said he wants today's scholars to follow theirexamples and convey the lessons of the past to allof humanity.

"We must use every opportunity to tell thestory of our leaders," Sonn said.

Mandela's royal ancestry and African heritage,Sonn said, make him "the custodian of the Africanspirit and the African values, particularlybecause those things have not been written down".

Sonn lauded Mbeki for retaining his roots whilebecoming a world leader.

"He is connected to the wide world," Sonn said,"but his identity is with his village, among thepoor".

Sonn also proclaimed his country as a potentialunifying force.

"I honestly believe that South Africa is calledupon to bring unity, not only within South Africa,but between Africa and Europe, between white andblack, and to bring about the new millennium," hesaid.

Sonn emphasized the balance of individualityand community.

"Our individuality is critical," he said, "butnot so important that it can thrive, or evensurvive, at the expense of the community."

When a KSG student in the audience asked Sonnif he thought Mandela's vision might die with theend of his term in office, Sonn replied thatMandela did not work alone.

"I think the best thing about the speech wasthe reassur[ance] that although Mandela is a greatleader, he's only one apple from a tree that hasmany other apples and deep roots," said AndersenC. Fisher '99, using Sonn's metaphor.

Sonn said he was very optimistic that Mbekiwill make a fine president, calling him "a superbCEO with a strategic objective and realizablegoals on the bottom line".

Shifting to American politics, Sonn bucked whathe called the prevailing opinion and saidPresident Clinton is not immoral.

"An immoral person has no standards and justgoes around doing whatever he wants to," Sonnsaid. "A person who is able to return andapologize can't be called immoral."

Prolonged, loud applause followed the speech.Audience members agreed that Sonn's presentationwas eloquent and inspirational, but some offered afew criticisms.

"We all know that Mandela is an exceptionalleader. I wish he had talked a little more abouthis own experiences," said Mary Frances Mitchner,a graduate of the KSG who lived in Cape Town,South Africa, for a year.

"It was inspiring and an interesting follow-upto Mandela's own speech," Fisher said.

Mandela visited Harvard in September. He spokein Tercentenary Theatre and was awarded anhonorary degree.

Sonn said he is anxious, now that his term hasended, to return home and see the changes in hisnation firsthand.

"I am desperate to get back to South Africa,"he said. "I haven't lived in the new South Africayet."CrimsonMelissa K. CrockerOUT OF AFRICA:South AfricanAmbassador to the United States FRANKLIN SONNdiscusses the past and the future of his countryat a speech last night at the Kennedy School ofGovernment.