High Hopes for Indoor Track Teams

By Bryan Lee, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The Harvard men's and women's indoor track teams are entering the season hoping to accomplish the same goal in very different ways.

The men, with a roster of almost 70, are trying to parlay their depth into their first indoor Heptagonals title since 1985.

But the women, who are carrying about 40 athletes, want to stretch their quality talent widely enough to score the points they need to win an indoor championship. The last Crimson women's title came in 1990.

Co-captain Joe Ciollo said that the men's team is not only the largest one of his career but also the one with the best chance of winning.

"Princeton and Penn are the two teams that are always at the top because of their numbers, depth and quality athletes," Ciollo said. "This is the first year of my four that on paper, we appear to be of a similar caliber."

Ciollo said that the team should be strong in almost every event.

"Championship teams are not small," he said. "It's simple-the more people that compete, the more chances you have to score points."

He also pointed to an influx of talent, especially in the freshman class. He mentioned sprinter Uros Zver, sprinter Kobie Fuller, hurdler Kevin Worrell, and sprinter/jumper Nnamdi Okike.

On Monday, several football players practiced with the team for the first time. Ciollo said they "look like amazing athletes," although they will probably not be sharp early without training.

"We need a reality check, because everything is on paper," Ciollo said. "We need to prevent injury, train hard, and be motivated."

The team's strength will probably be the running events under 1000 meters, said Ciollo, who holds school records in the 500 meters and as a member of the mile relay.

Sophomore Chuck Nwokocha finished second in the 55-meter at Heps last year. Ciollo was second in the 500-meter, and junior Michael Harte finished third in the 55-meter hurdles.

As for the distance, cross country is coming off a disappointing season," Ciollo said. "But it's not necessarily a correlation with the indoor season. It's an opportunity to turn over a new leaf."

The Crimson is returning senior Scott Muoio, who finished third in the 3000-meter and fifth in the 5000-meter last year at Heps. Sophomore Arthur Fergusson was third in the triple jump at Heps last year.

Harvard should be strong in the throws, with senior Ken Hughes in the shotput and sophomore Tarek Hamid in the weight.

Ciollo said that the Crimson has to prepare itself mentally to be a contender because of its struggles in recent years, including last year's seventh place finish at Heps.

"[Co-captain] Doug Lin and I are going to stress that we have to take on an attitude that we can contend," Ciollo said. "It has to be from day one, so it's in the back of your mind every day and can motivate you."

The women's indoor track team will have to rely on a willingness of some of its best runners to compete in unfamiliar events because of the team's relatively small size.

"We have a lot of solid 400 meter runners," co-captain Heather Hanson said. "Some of them might have to run races they normally don't. Also, because we're smaller, some people will have to step up and run in relays, even if they don't like to."

Princetop and Brown are consistent championship contenders, Hanson said, and Harvard was able to hang with both teams last year. The Crimson finished fifth at Heps in the 1997-1998 winter season.

The Crimson also has an almost automatic first place in every event that sophomore Dora Gyorffy competes in. Gyorffy was named the Heps Outstanding Performer last year.

Gyorffy won the high jump at 1.91 meters-a Heps meet record-and the triple jump at 12.27 meters-.48 meters better than second place. She finished third at the NCAA Championships, and Gyorffy defeated the winner-Erin Aldrich of Texas-at the Penn Relays.

Besides Gyorffy, Harvard returns Hanson, who finished fourth in the 55 meters and third in the 200 meters at Heps last year. It also has sophomore Marna Schutte, who was second in the 400.

Schutte is one of the three returning members from the school record-setting four-by-400 meter team.

Both the men's and women's teams should start their seasons comfortably this weekend when they host Boston College.

"B.C.'s a good beginning meet because they're not any Ivy team, and it's good experience for the freshmen," Hanson said. "I look for us to defeat them soundly."

Ciollo was even more emphatic.

"The fact stands that we have never lost to B.C. in an indoor dual meet, and we're going to remind them of that fact this Saturday," he said. "They're histori cally mediocre, and we'd like to start the season by blowing them out."