Our Town

Getting Access

By Pam Wasserstein

Universal keycard access in the Houses is an issue that has been a subject of debate among administrators and students for quite some time now. Cabot and Winthrop Houses recently introduced the program, with Dunster House expected to follow suit in the near future. Quincy House has had universal keycard access since November 4, and, now that a month has passed since its institution, students' reactions provide an indicator of what residents of other Houses can expect of the effective open-door policy.

Some Quincy House residents say that keycard access has not had much impact on their day-to-day lives. Grant E. Garrigues '01 notes that, because Quincy spent almost a month as the only House offering universal access, the policy had a limited impact.

"It really hasn't affected me--I can't get in to visit my friends [in other Houses]," he says. "For whatever reason, I generally visit friends more than they come to visit me."

Garrigues says his enthusiasm about keycard access will increase with the program's expansion.

"I think when every House has it, that will be really cool. For now it's like people can come in to my House and steal my stuff, but I can't get in anywhere," he says.

Other students echo Garrigues' sentiments. Sarah E. Ryan '01, who lives in DeWolfe this year but is affiliated with Quincy House, also looks forward to the spread of universal keycard access, for reasons Adam Smith would clearly approve.

"I'm very upset that everybody can get into our House and we can't get in anywhere," she says, "I'm glad that's going to change."

Other Quincy House residents already appreciate the convenience of the new policy. Most cite the ease with which friends can come to their rooms as the most important aspect of the policy for them.

"Although it hasn't affected my life in very major ways, it's nice not having to run downstairs to get people," says Jessica L. Leino '00. "My friends in other Houses definitely appreciate that aspect of it."

For Gretchen A. Hoff '00, universal keycard access has made her life easier, because she no longer has to shuttle down to the entryway door to collect her significant other when he visits.

"I don't have to go downstairs to let my boyfriend in --that's really been the biggest effect for me, and it's nice not to have to do it," she says. The new arrangement is convenient for the visitor as well: "He loves it because he doesn't have to wait around," Hoff says.

Aside from the personal benefits that universal keycard access provides, Hoff says she has noticed a change in the atmosphere in Quincy since the policy began, an effect the administration may not have anticipated.

"It enhances Quincy House's social nature," she explains. "There have been more parties sinceit began, I think. And it's easier to have partiesnow because people can get into them."

In addition, Hoff says increased access toQuincy makes it easier for the House to hostmeetings, study groups and generally attractsnon-residents to the House.

"It helps Harvard's social life a bit," shesays.

One of the primary concerns about universalkeycard access has been the protection ofstudent's property and personal safety. Somestudents have reacted to the new policy by showinggreater concern for their safety, while othershave not been quite so conscientious.

"We are being a bit more careful about leavingour door unlocked," Leino says. "I haven't seen orheard of a bad experience, though."

Julie M. Lau '00, Hoff's roommate, says shedoes not think the safety factor has been an issueduring the past month.

"I don't think it's that big a problem," Lausays. She and Hoff have not taken any specialprecautions in response to the policy.

Last year, Lau and Hoff lived in DeWolfe, wherethey say they did have problems with non-Harvardindividuals appearing outside theirdoor--including some local indigents camping outon the doorstep.

"Compared to DeWolfe, Quincy is like a safehaven," Lau Jokes.

Generally, students have had positive reactionsto the policy. However, there are thosenon-residents who, uninformed about the policy,have not yet been taking advantage of it.

"It's really funny when you see people waitingoutside because they don't know they can get in,"Lao says. "I go up to them and say `Hey, you don'thave to wait out here.'