First Issue of Book Review Hits Dorms

New magazine evaluates newly released fiction

By Vasugi V. Ganeshananthan, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

The Harvard Book Review, one of about a half-dozen campus publications founded this year, distributed its first issue last Tuesday.

Run by John F. Coyle '00, Lauren A. Jobe '00 and Laura E. Rosenbaum '00, the publication covers a range of authors, from established names like Alice Walker to new literary faces like Robin Troy '96. The 20-page publication has a 56-person staff.

Coyle, Jobe and Rosenbaum, who are Crimson editors, began work in May, when Jobe came up with the idea.

"Basically we wanted people to know what new books there were and what good reading was available in the limited time that they have to read outside their school reading," Rosenbaum said.

Editor-in-Chief Coyle said they had no problem getting books to review--or reviewers to read them.

One hundred people showed up to the September introductory meeting, Coyle said. The same number submitted writing samples. From that pool, 40 writers were selected.

Publishers sent about 80 requested books and 50 unsolicited books, Coyle said. Most of the reviews in this issue are of fiction, a decision that reflects the reviewers' preferences, though Coyle said writers are free to choose what they will review.

Among the reviews this issue were Floating, Troy's senior thesis, and By the Light of my Father's Smile, Walker's latest work.

"It's been surprisingly easy to get our hands on a number of newly published books for free," Coyle said.

Rosenbaum said the Book Review receives galley proofs, or "rough drafts," of some books, but the majority arrive as final copies and appear in stores one to two months after their release to reviewers.

Jobe, the Book Review's publisher, said a greater variety of presses will be represented in the next issue, which is scheduled to go to press in February.

"We've opened up and specifically sought out independent presses," Jobe said, adding that the magazine also reviews materials from university presses.

Coyle credited Art Director Liz A. Phang '02 with "improving the whole look of the Review."

"Her drawings have been spectacular. She doesn't get a lot of the credit," Coyle said, "but the work she did for us was truly outstanding."

Phang created most of the artwork in this issue and will coordinate art for the next issue.

This year's final issue will appear in May, Rosenbaum said. Titles reviewed in upcoming issues of the Book Review will include From Barbie to Mortal Kombat: Gender in Computer Games, edited by Justine Cassell and Henry Jenkins and The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver.

The staff plans to donate books that are not reviewed to hospitals and libraries.

The review receives funding from the Office for the Arts, Undergraduate Council grants and the Harvard College Student Activities Fund.