Seton, Redmond Get Stewart's Endorsement

By Rachel P. Kovner, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Undergraduate Council President Beth A. Stewart '00 endorsed Noah Z. Seton '00 and Kamil E. Redmond '00 for council president and vice president at last night's council meeting. Council representatives also condemned an anonymous leaflet campaign that falsely characterized the beliefs of presidential hopeful T. Christopher King '01.

Although Council Vice President Samuel C. Cohen '00 did not make a formal endorsement at last night's meeting, he said in an interview after the meeting that he agreed with Stewart's endorsement.

"I fully support Noah Seton and Kamil Redmond," he said.

Stewart said she endorsed running-mates Seton and Redmond because they would continue her student services crusade while correcting her shortcomings.

"We were too timid about reaching out to other student groups....[But] I have never known anyone who is so good at reaching out to those not on the council as Kamil," Stewart said.

Stewart also praised Seton's commitment to the council.

"His dedication rivals that of anyone in this room, myself included," she said.

Seton, a three-year council member, is currently vice chair of the Student Activities Committee and co-chairs the committee that worked with Harvard Dining Services to create Fly-By lunches.

Redmond has been a council representative for two years and, like Seton, is a student member of the Committee on Undergraduate Education.

Seton said he was "thrilled and touched" by Stewart's endorsement and promised if elected to extend the council's student services focus to include more far-reaching reforms like those of University Health Services and advising.

Last night, Stewart said she felt she had "too narrowly defined student services" by emphasizing obtaining frozen-yogurt in Annenberg Hall and cable television in students' rooms. She praised Seton's broader focus.

Stewart has privately assisted in Seton andRedmond's campaign over the past several weeks,but tonight marked her first public endorsement ofthe pair.

Poster Problems

Council officials also criticized fliersdistributed to first-years that mischaracterizeKing's platform.

The fliers said, "Chris King wants Global YouthConnect to come organize student life at Harvard.Is that what you want?"

The flier includes quotes suggesting thatGlobal Youth Connect, an organization King said hewants to advise him on community-building atHarvard, is an evangelical Christian group--thoughit has "no religious affiliation whatsoever,"according to King.

"Our youth ministry exists to reachnon-believing students and their families, toconnect them with other Christians, to help themgrow in their faith," reads one quotation on theflier.

In fact, the quotations were from the Web siteof Frazer's Youth Ministry, a Sunday schoolministry which is completely unrelated to GlobalYouth Connect.

Election Commission members found 11 of theleaflets taped to suite doors in Wigglesworth,Weld, Grays, Stoughton, Holworthy and StrausHalls.

Commission members said they had no idea howmany leaflets had been distributed or who wasresponsible for their distribution.

They pledged an extensive investigation.

"Right now the commission is just in theincipient stages of what's going to be a very longnight," said Jared B. Shirck '01. "The[commission] will do everything in its capacity tofigure out who is responsible for this."

King said he did not believe any other campaignwas behind the leaflets.

"I am in no way thinking anyone in this roomwas involved with this," he said. "At least, Ihope and pray that they aren't."

King said his goal was to press on with hiscampaign, not to find and punish the offenders.

He said he believed the posting wouldstrengthen his campaign by highlighting the needfor community at Harvard.

"The tone of this posting screams religiousdiscrimination," King said. "When we talk aboutembracing diversity at Harvard, this is theantithesis of that."

Council officials condemned the fliers, whichCohen called "disgraceful."

"In my time on council, this is perhaps thething that bothered me the most," he said.

Last night the commission also levied penaltypoints against several campaigns.

The Burton and Seton campaigns were eachassessed 2 points for postering over othercandidates' posters, and Eduardo J. Dominguez'scampaign was assessed 5 points for misuse of thecouncil's copy machine.

A dollar will be deducted from each campaign's$100 budget for each point it is assessed

Poster Problems