profile

A WHOLE NEW WORLD

By Bridie J. Clark

from: HOLLYWOOD, FL

current residence: OFF-CAMPUS

concentration: ENGLISH

FM: How did your acting carrier get started?

SW: When I was 8-years old, in third grade, we had carrier day at my elementary school. Some guy's uncle was a local actor and he came in to talk to us. For the first time it occurred to me that all my goofing around and impressions could actually be used to make a living. I bothered my parents about it for weeks, until they gave in and looked into getting me an agent.

FM: What was it like being the voice of Aladdin?

SW: I started when I was a sophomore in high school and the job has continued until now. During this past semester when I was studying in Paris, I had to go to recording studios to make CD-roms and tapes. I thought my voice had changed a lot, but my 2-year old baby brother was watching the movie and picked up on my voice, asking his mommy "Where's Scotty?" So I guess my voice hasn't changed that much.

FM: Could you tell us something about working with Robin Williams [the voice of the genie]?

SW: We started by working with the entire cast all the time in a group, with lots of improvisation and throwing things around. He was quiet and pensive before we started, but once we got going he became wild Robin Williams. They gave him lots of liberty to go crazy. In the recording studio, we were separated from the audience by a 6 inches of glass, so they could laugh their heads off - people would literally be crying from laughing so hard--but I had to restrain myself from laughing because it would pick up in the booth. One time I actually had to get down on the ground because I was afraid my chuckles would be picked up on the tape.

FM: How would you describe the experience of being D.J.'s boyfriend on Full House?

SW: The most intensely erotic experience of my life. Seriously, working with Candace Cameron was fun and we had a great time. I shot 50 episodes, spanning 2 years. I still get stopped in the square by people who remember seeing episodes, especially now that the show is in return heaven.

FM: What is your most embarassing moment on a set?

SW: The kissing scenes with D.J. were tricky. I was a bit apprehensive during big make-out scenes because it is a kid's show, and there's an audience in the studio. After one take the director came up and told me to "give it a little oomph. "We tried the scene again, and I got more into it, after which the director, over a loudspeaker from the booth, told me "you don't have to chew her face off."

FM: Future plans?

SW: I'm hoping to move back to Los Angeles and continue acting, and maybe start my own movie production company next year. I guess I'd like to produce edgy, young movies, using the people just out of acting school who are having difficulty getting work in the big huge studios. There's an amazing talent pool out there.