Evidence Suggests Okrent's Death Was Likely Suicide

Cabot House junior's funeral scheduled for today

By James Y. Stern, CRIMSON STAFF WRITERS

State police investigators looking into the death of David L. Okrent '99 now believe the Cabot House physics concentrator took his own life early Sunday morning, a source close to the investigation said yesterday.

Okrent was found on Revere Beach with a single stab wound to the neck at 6:30 a.m. He died en route to Mass. General Hospital.

While the state police initially approached their investigation into Okrent's death as a "possible homicide," they say they now believe Okrent was alone on Revere Beach early Sunday morning and consider suicide the most likely cause.

"Given everything we've learned, we believe that he committed suicide," the source said.

The knife used to inflict the wound was found underneath Okrent's body, the source said.

"People who were in a position to identify the knife said it was his," the source added.

Autopsy results are expected within the next two weeks. Until then, the state police cannot officially close their investigation into the cause of Okrent's death.

In addition, investigators have learned that Okrent had spoken about ways he might kill himself and that he had been in counseling for depression.

Lawrence Okrent, David Okrent's father, said his son had not adjusted to life at Harvard as well as he had hoped.

"At Harvard he wasn't involved very much in extracurriculars," Okrent said. "He was very shy--the experience of leaving home and adjusting to a new environment was a bit much for him."

Okrent told The Boston Globe yesterday that his son had sought counseling because "he felt he wasn't as disciplined as he could be with his studies."

"Because of the great expense of this place, he didn't think he was performing at the level he should be," Lawrence Okrent said.

"We talked a lot about it, and we were in frequent conversations with him from November, when he started to verbalize these things," Okrent added.

At Harvard, meanwhile, students continue to remember the life of their friend.

A private memorial service was held Monday night in the Cabot House Living Room. More than 150 friends of David Okrent attended, honoring him with poems and stories, laughing and crying over their shared memories.

President Neil L. Rudenstine and Rabbi Sally Finestone, a member of Harvard's United Ministry, also attended and spoke at the gathering.

Okrent's funeral and burial will take place this morning at 10 a.m. at the Beth Emet Synagogue in his hometown of Evanston, Ill. Okrent's roommates will attend the funeral.

According to Harvard spokesperson Alex Huppe, a campus-wide memorial service is still being considered, although no details have been decided.

Letters of condolence can be sent to the Okrent Family, 1212 Austin Ave., Evanston, IL 60202. Donations can be sent to the David Okrent Memorial Fund, c/o Habitat for Humanity International, 121 Habitat St., Americus, GA 31709.