Planning for `Take Back the Night' Begins

Many student groups to participate in annual RUS event

By Courtney A. Coursey, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Approximately 30 undergraduates met last night in the Adams House small dining room to discuss plans for Take Back the Night (TBTN) week.

Many of those in attendance represented student groups, ranging from the Undergraduate Council to Latinas Unidas.

Last night's meeting was the first organizational meeting for the event, which will run from April 19 to April 25.

Violence against women is the theme of this year's TBTN week.

The TBTN committee would like to "represent different issues in the women's community that might fit under a broader definition of violence," said Judy Batalian '00, co-chair of the TBTN committee.

Possible topics under the larger heading of violence include mental illness, violence against self or significant other, and attack by strangers, according to Batalian.

Highlights of the week include an April 19 run and a rally on the evening of April 23.

Different activities will take place every day throughout the week. Some will be sponsored by student groups and others by TBTN committees.

The week's events are aimed at empowering women, providing support for women, and promoting awareness and education for everyone, said Talya M. Weisbard '00, co-chair of the TBTN committee.

Last night's meeting began with Batalian and Weisbard discussing their "values and vision" for TBTN.

Possible projects for the week discussed at last night's meeting include putting together resource and fact sheets, reading names of victims of violence against women on the steps of Widener library, a self-defense workshop, and discussion groups relating to issues concerning violence against women.

There will also be a political and activist component to the week's events, Batalion said.

Student groups were encouraged to sponsor their own events during TBTN week.

TBTN originated as "a rally against violence against women" in 1978, Weisbard said.

The first rallies were held in New York City and in California.