PfoHo Coverage Off-Base

Letters

To the editors:

The Quad community was impressed by the amazing amount of anti-Quad articles, columns and passing references you managed to squeeze into The Crimson and FM (March 19). I heard a rumor that opinions were only supposed to appear in the editorial section, but perhaps I am behind the times, and your unbalanced and biased articles are actually reflective of a cutting-edge movement in journalism, in which case, I commend you.

However, in the event that the River-centric stance was not part of a new journalistic tactic unbeknownst to the common folk, allow me to put a word in for the members of the Quad community and especially my house, Pforzheimer.

Once people begin living in the Quad they realize what a diverse and friendly place it is. People outside of the Quad have not experienced the sense of community and warmth and the lively social atmosphere. They cannot fully appreciate the positive aspects of the Quad life. They have a superficial view of the Quad, and consequently, negative articles in campus publications can actually be believed by those not in the Quad.

Most Quad residents have grown to love the Quad, and if given the choice to move to the River, would not take it. Who had the most spirit at Annenberg while welcoming the first-years? Currier, Pforzheimer and Cabot clearly outdid the rest of the houses in sheer number and decibel level. Even though we comprise just one-fourth of the total upper-class population, the Quad had an equal number of representatives at Annenberg as the River houses combined. The feeling of bonding was genuine, not contrived.

I wonder if any Crimson or FM editors have even been the Quad, experienced the comforting, lighted hallways, the spacious suites, the friendly residents, the many common rooms and the other amenities. I'd like to see them try to relax in the dungeon-like stairwells of Leverett Towers or the gloomy hallways of Dunster House. I transferred out of Dunster two years ago, and I can safely say that it was the best decision I have made in my four years here.

The FM article on Pforzheimer House was so off-base that it was comical. Not only was it the size of a tater tot but it had about as much substance as a tater tot. A brief blurb about Club Pfoho does not do our House Committee justice. The time and dedication our HoCo puts into making the House a lively place is second to none. In addition to the four "Club Pfoho" dances in the past year-and-a-half, where is mention of Gotcha, the Roommate Game and our own Drag Night? Not to mention Thursdayfest and the Battle of the Bonds slated for this April. And our awesome volleyball team. And our diverse population--we have the highest minority population of any house. And spirit. The list goes on.

But fellow Pfohosers, we cannot blame the FM editors for their ignorance. After all, they are only human. And just like the rest of us, they have deadlines to meet, things to see, people to do. They certainly don't have the time to take the three-minute shuttle ride to the Quad. I mean, they are so pressed for time that they couldn't even check the spelling of our house--or even realize that the picture of "Cabot House" was actually Moors Hall of Pforzheimer.

Have pity on the poor overworked editors. Let us just sit back and enjoy our beautiful home. If the rest of campus wants to look at the Quad in disdain, let it. There is a certain power in this situation; we know certain things that others are unaware of. Let's just keep it a secret. Let's keep the outdoor movie showings sponsored by all three Quad house committees to ourselves. Let's keep the Quad Carnival, with the free beer and food, carnival rides and music, in the family. There's no need to force it down their throats--if they don't want to take the time see how awesome Quad really is, we don't want them here anyway. BERTIE H. CHENG '98   March 20, 1998