M. Hockey Down to Wire for ECAC Berth

By Richard A. Perez, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

One win and they're in. It's as simple as that.

As the Harvard men's hockey team takes the ice this weekend at ECAC foes Vermont and Dartmouth, it finds itself just two points away from clinching a spot in the conference playoffs.

However, a disappointing showing this weekend against the Catamounts (10-17-3, 7-10-3 ECAC) and Big Green (11-11-5, 7-10-3), and the Crimson (9-16-2, 8-11-1) may find itself facing what was once unimaginable, missing out on postseason play.

"We just put ourselves in a battle to make the playoffs," captain Jeremiah McCarthy said following a loss last weekend to Clarkson.

For a team with early season goals of finishing in the top four in the ECAC, and with hopes of contending for the conference title, missing the postseason tournament--comprised of 10 of the 12 conference teams--would be nothing short of disastrous.

In all fairness, Harvard is in good shape entering this weekend's games. The Crimson finds itself in a three-way tie for eighth with Vermont and Dartmouth and a full three points ahead of 11th place St. Lawrence. The Crimson can only miss out on the playoffs if it manages only one or no points this weekend, and St. Lawrence sweeps its own games, which is at best highly unlikely.

Nonetheless, Harvard finds itself in a tighter situation than expected or desired.

Coming off two home losses last weekend, a tight 3-2 overtime setback to St. Lawrence and a 5-1 blowout at the hands of defending ECAC champion Clarkson, the Crimson is in great need of momentum if it has any hopes of making noise in the playoffs.

"We have to pretty much go back to square one now," McCarthy said following the loss to the Golden Knights. "We have to bust our butts and make sure this never happens again."

Additionally, a good showing this weekend can catapult Harvard into much better playoff position, avoiding a possible early round matchup with ECAC powers Yale or Clarkson. With a lot of help, the Crimson could even garner home-ice in the first round.

As the Crimson face Vermont, it hopes to avenge a close 4-3 home loss earlier in the season. The Catamounts, however, enter tonight's contest on fire. Unbeaten in their last four games (3-0-1), Vermont looks to ride into the playoffs one of the hottest teams in the conference.

If Harvard hopes to get back on track and defeat the Catamounts, it will need to get past the stellar goaltending of Andrew Allen, who is 4-1-1 in the last six games, posting 184 saves and allowing just 11 goals for a .915 save percentage during that span.

The Crimson will look to the freshman duo of Chris Bala and Steve Moore, who are tied for the team lead in points with 24, to lead the attack against Allen and the Catamounts. The first-year tandem of Bala and Moore enter the game with a combined six goals and six assists over the past six games.

Harvard faces another hot team this weekend in Dartmouth. The Big Green are 5-3-3 over the past 11 games, and are looking to avenge its 4-3 defeat at the hands of the Crimson two months ago.

Dartmouth is riding the strong play of seniors Jeremiah Buckley and Jon Sturgis. While Buckley has been solid, scoring a goal in seven of the past nine games, Sturgis has been nearly unstoppable. The Big Green forward owns a six game point scoring streak, netting seven goals and four assists in that span.

Harvard will need a strong defensive showing as well as a solid game out of sophomore goaltender J.R. Prestifilippo, if it hopes to come away with the victory.

With three consecutive losses, and only one win in its past eight games, the Crimson season is in danger of ending in bitter disappointment. If Harvard hopes to salvage its season, it must start its turn-around this weekend against their conference rivals.

There is still time for the Crimson to make an impact in the ECAC, but without stronger play Harvard will soon find themselves packing their bags, even if they do make the playoffs.