Students Enjoy Luxuries of Langdell

By Kelly M. Yamanouchi, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Since the September re-opening of the newly renovated Harvard Law School Library in Langdell Hall, undergraduates seeking the ideal study atmosphere have been migrating from the simple comforts of Lamont to the plush elegance of Langdell.

"I think people are slowly discovering [Langdell] more and more," Anne C. Tsai '00-'99 said.

Luxury Accomodations

Since Lamont and Cabot Libraries became over-crowded during reading period last semester, students in search of an alternative study space have slowly been arriving at Langdell. During reading period, it's often undergraduates--not Law School students--that may be found reading beneath the dazzle of the library's twenty new chandeliers.

"Ever since fall exam period, it seems like there has been an influx of undergraduates," Heather Chang '99, a library regular, said.

Overcrowding at undergraduate libraries may be what originally drew students to Langdell, but the expensive new furniture and technological facilities are what have encouraged them to stay.

"During exam period in January, I felt that there were more undergraduates than law students in the library," Alexander C. Band '98 said.

"It's definitely the best library at Harvard," Jennifer H. Wu '99 noted. "I don't want to study anywhere else."

Many undergraduates agree that the spacious building, located a short walk from the Science Center, is an ideal study spot.

"It's gorgeous," Tsai said. "You can bring your lap top there and every single table has an outlet and data jack."

"You see, at Lamont sometimes the facilities aren't as nice," Jeffrey T. Lu '01 said.

In comparison with undergraduate libraries, Langdell has the advantage of being less crowded. This may be due to the fact that Law School students have different exam schedules than undergraduates, or simply because, as older students with cars or apartments, they have more resources at their disposal.

"There is a lot of space to study, so there is rarely ever an issue of overcrowding similar to what happens at law school library," Amresh Raina '99 said.

Langdell reopened September 2 after renovations budgeted at $35.9 million. The library, which seats 240 at its hardwood tables and 98 in its generous couches and armchairs, is certainly a change from Hilles' 70s genre seating arrangements.

"It's a far cry from the libraries that most undergraduates are used to," Steve Y. Won '99 said. "It's climate controlled, too."

Plus, Langdell's renovations have brought the hallowed hall well into the 21st century. Technological facilities at the library include 24 workstations in a computer classroom, 12 workstations in two computer training rooms, 14 stand-up computer workstations, 40 sit-down computer workstations and 10 audio-visual TV stations.

Instead of Lamont's "Laptop Loge," students at Langdell can plug their portable PC into power and data jacks in cozy group study rooms or areas of the reading room. The set-up makes Langdell not only a welcoming old-school study space, but also a convenient work station.

"In fact, they have more computers in the library than the Science Center computer labs, or at least it feels like it," said Won.

And the library is net friendly. That means no extended lines a la the Lamont lobby.

"There's a lot of e-mail kiosks so you never have to wait," Wu said.

With its elegant atmosphere and state-of-the-art technology, many undergraduates say Langdell's only negative aspect is its early closing time--midnight. Some undergraduates also cite the inconvenient location of Langdell as a drawback.

"There is no place nearby, like the Green-house, where you can get food and snacks during the evening," Raina said.

But most do not mind the relatively short distance.

"The extra two minute walk is definitely worth it," Tsai said. "It's better than Lamont and Cabot, which are hot, stuffy and crowded."

Some students enjoy the sense of seclusion from fellow undergraduates while studying at Langdell.

"There are few other Harvard undergrads there, so it's a good place to go if you want to get a lot of work done, without the possibility of running into your friends, and procrastinating," Raina said.

"I really don't spend much time in the Law School," Daniel A. Montilla '99, a Crimson editor, said, "so it feels like I can get away from the usual Harvard life."

Sewell Chan '98, who is also a Crimson editor, has been "getting away" to Langdell in order to escape crowded undergraduate libraries since his freshman year--before the library was renovated.

"Now, I study there because it has become a mecca of affluence and comfort," Chan said. Chan described the library as "more like a plush hotel than a library."

"The only thing missing is a cocktail bar and lounge, with a piano player next to the circulation desk," he said.

Most students who have been to the library praise its unique combination of beauty and functionality.

"It's a new library--who wouldn't want to use it?" asked David Goldman, reference assistant at Langdell.

Students note that everyone from biochemistry to social studies concentrators frequent Langdell.

"There's a diverse group of students that study there," Won said. "There are students from all concentrations."

Facing Exclusion

But not everyone appreciates the new diversity of students at Langdell.

With the recent influx of undergraduates to the library, law students have begun voicing complaints to library staff, according to the reference librarians.

"There were some complaints about undergraduates being in the library but I don't think we have any policy on that," Michael Jimenez, a reference librarian at Langdell, said. "There was an investigation."

Paul George, associate librarian at Langdell who is reportedly running the "investigation," could not be reached for comment.

"Paul looked into it and he asked us if it wasbusy," Jimenez said. "I don't really understandthe complaints myself...it's never full in here."

However, not all Law School students considerundergraduates at the library a disturbance. Infact, some even encourage undergrads to takeadvantage of the high-functioning study space.

"I've never heard any complaints," said John D.Ciorciari, a student at the Law School. "Myattitude is that one of the reasons that you cometo a university like this is you want to haveaccess to all kinds of research facilities.... Itseems like it's only fair. Why not let them usethe law library?"

In addition, students note that the library isnever overcrowded--even with increasing numbers ofundergraduate visitors.

"I have never had problems finding somewhere tostudy in Langdell," said Wu.

"I really like it when undergraduates comeover--it's kind of refreshing and interesting,"Jimenez said. "Plus, they're friendlier."

Some students decry the all-welcoming nature ofLangdell, but on the whole students are wary of anexclusionary policy. As of yet, there are noregulations on undergraduates at Langdell, andmany consider the stately library to be a hiddentreasure.

"Langdell used to be Harvard's best kept secretfor the most intense bibliophiles," said Chan."Now it has become a watering hole for gregariousfirst-years."

However, most agree that the law school libraryis not a private good overrun by undergraduates.

With the new renovations, Jimenez said theLangdell reference staff is anticipating thepossibility of even more undergraduates beingdrawn to the library to conduct legal research.

"We're kind of hoping that people come overhere," Jimenez said. "I'd hate to see some kind oflaw put up merely because we have couches in thereading room.