Wrestling Takes on EIWAs, Guns For Slots in National Tourney

By Jodie L. Pearl, CONTRIBUTING WRITER

This weekend's 94th annual EIWA championships can be pinned as the culmination of the Harvard men's wrestling season.

On the road at Lehigh, the wrestlers will grapple both today and tomorrow to qualify for nationals. Out of 130 wrestlers competing, only 26 will go on to wrestle in two weeks at Cleveland State.

"This is what we peak for," freshman Adam Truitt said. "It is the most important time of the year."

Indeed, the wrestlers have prepared long and hard for this. After defeating Brown two weeks ago, they have tapered their training in order to avoid injury and to go in as prepared as possible.

"I definitely feel this is the most ready we've been," Coach Jay Weiss said. "I am excited about our chances."

The Crimson finished the season 12-6-1, third place in the Ivy conference. The record has earned Harvard a No. 23 ranking nationally. The Crimson enters as the number three team in the competition, with six wrestlers seeded in the top five of the individual rankings.

Penn, the defending champion, is again favored to capture the title with Lehigh expected to be the Quaker's most serious competition.

Tri-captain junior Dustin DeNunzio (26-3) has the top seed in his 134-pound weight class. Tri-captain junior Ed Mosley (21-6) is seeded second in the 167-pound class and in the 118-pound class tri-captain James Butera (19-10) is seeded fifth.

Sophomore Joey Killar (20-4) holds a No. 2 seeding in the 158-pound weight class, while sophomore Fran Volpe (12-7) is fourth in the 117-pound class. The 126-pound starter, freshman Matt Picarsic (23-12), is seeded third.

Despite the seedings, everyone has an equal chance to capture a national spot. All previous meets, although good preparation for this weekend, have no bearing on who will go on to nationals.

Weiss looked forward to participating in this national qualifying tournament with many the schools rather than the usual dual meets.

"[We are] a better tournament team. In the duels we had holes," Weiss said.

Harvard's most recent tournament success took place in Las Vegas earlier in the season, where the Crimson finished six among many of the nation's top teams.

Whether considered a learning experience for new freshman or the last opportunity for the outgoing seniors, this tournament is undoubtedly the highlight of the season.

The wrestlers go in with high hopes and that the team chemistry which carried them throughout an impressive season.

"This is the best team I have ever been a part of," said freshman Brad Soltis, who will wrestle heavyweight--a class above his usual 190-pound class--this weekend.

That in and of itself, regardless of what happens today and tomorrow, is a mark of success.