The New Gen Ed Lottery System, Explained

Armed Individuals Sighted in Harvard Square Arraigned

Harvard Students Form Coalition Supporting Slave Photo Lawsuit's Demands

Police Apprehend Armed Man and Woman in Central Square

107 Faculty Called for Review of Tenure Procedures in Letter to Dean Gay

Assistant Professor Hay Granted Tenure at Law School

Colleagues laud tenure decision, scholar specializes in legal procedure, noted for breadth

By Jacqueline A. Newmyer, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

Bruce L. Hay, who has been an assistant professor at Harvard Law School since 1992, received a tenure appointment yesterday.

Hay, who specializes in legal procedure and the economics of litigation, is also a scholar of environmental and tort law.

"Bruce Hay is a brilliant scholar and teacher who brings much to the Law School," said Dean of the Law School Robert C. Clark.

In addition to teaching courses on subjects ranging from civil procedure and environmental law to the legal profession and corporations, Hay edits the on-line journal Litigation, Procedure and Dispute Resolution Abstracts.

"The Law School is an incredibly fertile environment," Hay said.

He also contributes to several legal publications on regulatory enforcement processes in environmental law, process design for mass tort disputes and the economics of lawyer-client relations.

"Teaching has been a tremendous learning experience for me, and we have the best students in the world," Hay said.

Hay's colleague, Professor of Law and Economics Steven Shavell, expressed delight over Hay's promotion.

"He is a great scholar, colleague and friend, so I'm thrilled," Shavell said.

Hay graduated from the Law School in 1988.

He received his bachelor's degree from the University of Wisconsin, Madison.

He clerked for Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia and practiced at the firm of Sidley & Austin in Washington, D.C., before joining the Law School faculty.