Talkin' About a Revolution: The Newest Council Leadership

Latest crop of representatives symbolize shift

It doesn't take long for revolutions to become institutions, and the Undergraduate Council's recent upheaval is no exception.

Last fall's showdown for the council presidency, in which Beth A. Stewart '00 defeated more liberal challengers Jobe G. Danganan '99 and Benjamin W. Hulse '99, marked an ideological shift for the council.

A look at some of the council's youngest members reveals how ingrained Stewart's message has become in one short semester. While widely different in their aims and outlooks, four first-year representatives are alike in their support for the council's new direction.

The "Fun" in Funding

For Alison F. Egan '01, the most rewarding moment of her council career was a simple dinner meeting with a new student group.

Egan interviewed the fledgling Students for the Exploration and Discovery of Space and ultimately argued their first grant request, winning badly-needed funds for the start-up group.

"They were so appreciative," she said. "It's a really nice feeling, and it's also an important responsibility."

Egan, a native of Scarsdale, N. Y., is vice-chair of the council finance committee and unofficial chair of the council's first-year caucus, which is responsible for the first-year concentration fair and formal.

While Egan feels that there is a clear difference between political factions on the council, she said the ideological gap on the council doesn't prevent members from finding common ground.

"There is a division between those who vote along conservative lines and liberal ones, but I don't think that's impeded any function of the council," she says. "I like the workings of the U. C. better now, but I wouldn't classify myself as a very conservative person."

Egan said that if she is re-elected next year she will continue to focus on improving the finance committee's operations and make meetings more fun. She has no current plans for higher office.

"You can make a lot of difference no matter what you're doing," she says.

On the Job

Quantity may not equal quality, but Sterling P. A. Darling "01 doesn't seem to think so. His council schedule sometimes consumes 20 hours a week. Why devote the time?

"I enjoy being able to see the administration and its policies up close," Darling says. "I'm very interested in Harvard, not just as a school, but as a University."

In his usual business casual dress, during a recent interview, Darling looks the part of a council conservative.

"The council isn't in a position to examine issues beyond our own community," he says.

Like Egan, Darling characterizes himself as a supporter of council president Stewart, whose leadership he said has made the council more effective.

"During last semester there were meetings where the council would spend an inordinate amount of time on one piece of legislation and then not come to a different conclusion," Darling said. "The nature of debate has changed (because of) the tone Beth sets."

Darling, a San Antonio native, says council-wide office may be in his future.

"I'd like to stay very involved in the council," he said. "It's interesting being in a leadership position."

Ear to the Ground

One of the first council memories of Treasurer John A. Burton '01 is a discussion he had with other first-yearmembers bemoaning the lack of frozen yogurt inAnnenberg. The council-induced introduction offro-yo into the first-year dining hall made Burtonproud to be a member.

"It was good to see one tangible issue we hadtalked about actually come to something," Burtonsaid.

Like many colleagues, he is focusing onstudent-life concerns rather than political issuesthis year, stressing the importance of interactionbetween council members and other students.

"We tend to get our best ideas when we talk toother students and find out what's bothering them,what they would like to see changed," Burton said.

For example, this interaction led to one of hiscurrent projects: making the student group grantapplication available on-line. He said this willmake it easier for groups to apply for grantmonies.

"I never would have come up with the idea foran on-line grant application on my own," saidBurton.

According to Burton, the council is makinggreat progress in interacting with students,including rigorous new office hours each week.

"I actually get to interact with people everyday and find out what they like and don't like. Idon't just see things as being issues. I actuallyget to talk to people," he says.

He has noticed one change in the council fromlast semester. "We really have worked very hard,and I think successfully, to get rid of factions,"he said.

Despite his praise for the new leadership,Burton doesn't give Stewart and Cohen full creditfor the decline in factions. He cites changingissues as a possible cause.

"It really is much easier for people to agree,"he said of the current council. "There isn't aneed for factions."

Try, Try Again

Like Darling, Charles E. "Ted" Wright '01 hasalways been interested in politics. His highschool in Toronto, Canada, had no studentgovernment, however, so Wright was immediatelyexcited about running for the council when he cameto Harvard.

Then came the election.

Wright was not elected in the fall, but hisinterest in campus politics didn't wane. He ranagain in the spring, and this time the campaignwas a success.

"After President Stewart's victory, I felt morewanting to participate in the U.C.," said Wright,intercollegiate and press liaison for Stewart."I'm a big fan of Stewart and Cohen. My interestin the U.C. increased when they got elected."

One of Wright's current projects is gettingstudents free legal advice.

"There would be lawyers available to answerquestions in landlord-ten-ant violations, trafficproblems; areas where students have nowhere toturn to but expensive lawyers," he said.

Another goal is to improve the council'sreputation.

"If I had a leadership position right now, I'dmake sure everybody felt the U.C. was doing a goodthing," he said. "With a lack of bills, peoplefeel the U.C. is not doing their job. As a wholelot of people don't seem galvanized on U.C.issues. I'd make sure at least everyone is pluggedin and active."CrimsonDavid J. PosnerFUTURE LEADERS: Although his focus ison the present, council member STERLING P.A.DARLING '01 has not ruled out higher office.

Try, Try Again

Then came the election.