Residents Concerned About Mass. Ave. Redesign

By Marc J. Ambinder, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

The clang of heavy machinery will soon become a part of the residential neighborhood surrounding Porter Square.

Beginning in July, contractors will begin a complete redesign of the northern sections of Mass. Ave. The construction is scheduled to eliminate much of the median, add bicycle lanes and renovate both sewer lines and sidewalks.

Angry residents told city councillors Monday night that the changes will compromise safety and disrupt their lives.

Marie Guzell, who has lived in North Cambridge for 20 years, said medians serve to break up the road. Their absence "Would make it a four lane highway."

The redesigned road would retain only 52 percent of the medians, according to the Cambridge Department of Public Works, but would add at least nine additional crosswalks to the area, notorious for jay walking.

Guzell also opposes the redesign for aesthetic reasons. "[The median] is a focal point that can be beautiful at low cost," she said.

Other residents expressed concern that the council had not done enough to enforce traffic laws in the area.

Cantabrigian Susan McGuire told councillors that she sees the conflict as one between "sewers and safety," and that the council should err on the side of protecting pedestrians.

At least some Cantabrigians in attendance supported the plan.

Michael Haille said that bikers are trained to ride with traffic, and the redesign, which would serve to move heavy traffic closer to the middle of the road rather than the sidewalks.

"The farther they are away, the safer you are," he said.

During the council meeting's public comment period, residents asked councillors to adopt a motion praising tenant activists for providing information to prospective buyers of two Cambridge housing complexes.

The properties, located at 10 Porter Rd. and 59 Norfolk St, have changed owners three times in the past month.

Longtime residents have been evicted, advocated said Monday night.

The council unanimously adopted a resolution opposing U.S. Senate legislation to reduce so-called "section 8" housing subsidies.

Several residents of the Fresh Pond housing complex said that more than 70 "section 8" residents had recently been forced to vacate their homes.

The council also adopted an order reestablishing the Harrington/Wellington Citizens Committee to give homeowners a voice in development plans in the area.

"I think that neighborhood association are an important way to address neighborhood issues in Cambridge, whose city councillors are at large," said area resident John Pit kin.