ATHLETE OF THE WEEK

Par Excellence

By Eduardo Perez-giz

Talk about a miracle worker.

Without the inspiring leadership and incredible talent of senior co-captain Melissa Forcum, the Harvard's women's volleyball team might be swimming in a sea of Ivy League mediocrity.

Instead, the strong example that Forcum has set on the court for her teammates has the Crimson ready to challenge for an Ivy League title this weekend.

Forcum was named Ivy League Player of the Week for the second time this season for her phenomenal performance last weekend during the team's final homestand in the Harvard Invitational tournament. She led the injury-plagued Crimson to victory by recording double-doubles in three of the four matches that Harvard played, and she was also named to the All-Tournament team for her efforts.

In the Crimson's last home match against Siena, she netted a career-high 24 kills and 23 digs. Earlier this season in a match against Columbia, Forcum became a member of the prestigious 1,000 career-kill club and ended the regular season second on Harvard's all-time career list with 1,186 kills.

In 107 games during Harvard's 29 matches this season--Forcum missed only four of 111 games--the four-year starter averaged an impressive 4.28 kills and 3.28 digs per game.

Forcum's achievements on the court are surpassed only by her leadership. Throughout the season, Forcum has been the deciding factor for Harvard during key games, often providing the authoritative dig or the intimidating ace needed to silence the opponent and bolster the Crimson's play.

This weekend the Crimson faces the daunting task of grabbing the Ivy League crown at Brown. The first hurdle that Harvard must overcome will be on Friday against Yale in a rematch of an earlier loss for the Crimson.

You can bet that if Forcum has anything to say about it, the Bulldogs will be the ones in the doghouse this time.