Rejection a Price Worth Paying

Letters

To the editors:

Regarding Geoffrey C. Upton's article "An End to Rejection" (April 15):

I think this is just a grand idea! Why stop at internships? Why not elect the President by randomly selecting from all those qualified? And why wait until you are an "Internship Coordinator"? For your next date, just randomly select from all those qualified. I'm sure it will make a wonderful pick-up line: "Hey, babe, even though you aren't the best, you have been randomly selected from all agreeable candidates." And the criticism you give to those who don't "make the cut" will be valuable for their own edification.

Rejection always stings at first, but it only truly affects the attitude of the individual when they forget the times in life when they were the best. These little victories are what make life worth living. Using the "draft method" to equalize pain is the wrong answer.

Finally, when I send my future children to the doctor, I want them to see the best, not just the "qualified." If that means that some student feels bad because they are rejected from medical school, so be it. I'm sure that student has many other positive things in their life to bolster their self-esteem. BRADLEY C. BARNHORST '00   April 15, 1998